• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

short term disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hootie61862

What is the name of your state? new york...

i am out of work on short term disability and my company is going to fill my position...I know that they can do that BUT shouldn't they continue to pay my health insurance?I have been paying $67.11 every two weeks before they decided to fill my job!!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless the state of New York specifically requires it, they have no legal obligation to continue paying your health insurance. Since NY is one of the VERY few states where STD is state controlled and mandated, I've never looked into the issue of continuing health insurance, so I'm not prepared to say definitely that they don't. (The state DOL would be able to tell you for certain.) What I can tell you is that in the very large majority of states, the answer to your question would be, No.

What they are required to do, assuming that the company has more than 20 employees, is allow you to continue the coverage at YOUR OWN expense.

prideluv

FMLA

I stayed on FMLA leave while getting std, so my employer had to continue paying my medical coverage during that time. I am in MO

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But that wasn't the question. The original poster wanted to know if the employer had to continue paying his health insurance AFTER his job had already been filled, not while he was still on FMLA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">