• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I get a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lazenby

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio.

Alright here's the deal. I'll try to make a long story as short as possible.
In 11/04 I was terminated without cause. One week later I filed for Unemployment Benefits. On12/03/04, I recieved a Determination on my claim. My benefits were unallowed, and in the correspondance the reason was given.

There was a problem though. The woman who I spoke with and filed my claim, misrepresented the reason that I gave her for seperation. I noticed this and called the processing center.

The rep I spoke to strongly urged me to appeal, considering that a miscommunication in during the inital filing process led to my denial of compensation. In the letter of denial, I was given the cutoff date of 12/27/04 to have my appeal postmarked.

So, I appealed. I wrote an extremely detailed and eloqunet 3 page letter explaining the situation. This letter was mailed on 12/27/04, the last day to have it postmarked. I even asked the teller at the Post Office if I could be assured that it would be postmarked that day, and she assured me that it would. I have a witness that stood there with me.

That brings us to today. Today I recieved a Denial of my Appeal, stating that my letter of Appeal was recieved late, and that the initial determination would stand!?!?!

It took these people 4 months to process my Appeal, and this is what I end up with?

I mailed the letter within the time limits. I did my part.
Now what?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Lazenby

pattytx

Don't be such a jerk. You're not paying us.

Maybe the state requires that your appeal notice be received by them by the due date. If not, if you don't have any proof that you did, in fact, post your response by the due date, like a certified receipt or other proof of mailing, you may be SOL.

You can get a referral to a local attorney by contacting the Bar Association in your nearest large city and a brief consultation for, usually, less than $50. If you want to see if you have a case, do that.

OK, happy now? :rolleyes:

Lazenby

Free Advice? Well I guess you get what you pay for. Also, Patty your insight was...stunning. Don't bother replying, I won't be back.

Beth3

Geez. What a jerk.

Lazenby, you didn't have to write an "eloqunet 3 page letter" requesting an appeal. All you had to do was send a letter stating "I am appealing this decision and request a hearing." Nothing you wrote in the letter will be considered at the hearing - only first hand testimony given under oath at the hearing will be considered in rendering a decision.

Your option is to again contact the State and appeal the denial of your appeal and request a hearing. If an ALJ rules in your favor, then you can pursue the denial of UC benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">