• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I resign or let myself be terminated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RSully72

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Hello,

I am an assistant manager at a large retail company. I have been informed that later this week I will be terminated for the store not obtaining certain sales related goals this month (assuming that the goals aren’t miraculously met within the next couple days).
My superiors informed me on Friday that, unfortunately, it didn’t look like the goals could be met, and that I would be terminated next week as a result. At that point they asked me what I wanted to do. I understood them to be asking me if I wanted to just resign now or if I wanted to wait-out the next few days to be terminated.
I will say that it is in the best interest of both me and the company for us to part ways. I have no hard feelings toward my employer….it just didn’t work out. It is a different type of management style and culture, and doesn’t really suit my skills or strengths. We part ways and everybody’s happy.
My only question is, do resign or do I wait for them to terminate me? This is where I’m really stuck. I’m leaning towards resignation, as I have never been involuntarily terminated from a job in my life. I also don’t relish the idea of just waiting-out the next 3-4 days just waiting to be discharged.
However, I would like to be able to collect unemployment insurance while I look for new employment. If I resign (under these circumstances) does that make me unable to collect unemployment? Also, how big of an impact will the resigned vs. terminated issue be to perspective employers while I’m looking for work? I don’t want to significantly hurt my chances at new employment because I was terminated, just to collect the $240 a week from unemployment that AZ allows.

Any help, guidance or info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

B

blameshifting

If you quit you can pretty much forget about collecting unemployement in Arizona.

Don't resign. Don't loose your right to collect that extra money from unemployment. It may not be a lot of money, but everything helps when you are out of a job. When you go for your next job interview, if you say you were terminated due to corporate downsizing or departmental restructuring, no one is going to bat an eye - it's so common place these days...but then again, that's how things are in the East Coast... If you work for a big enough company, they probably won't release any information about your employment - other than your title and your employment period.

R

RSully72

Thanks for the opinions so far!

So is it pretty much a fact that I'll have to let myself be terminated to be able to qualify for unemployment insurance? Also, in my situation, will I qualify for unemployment based upon the reason for my termination. I'd hate to wait and be terminated, and then find out that I don't qualify for unemployment.
Lastly, my employer told me that I would be terminated at the end of this week. Would it be bad or unadvisable for me to let my employer know that I'm NOT resigning, but that I wouldn't oppose them discharging me earlier in the week as opposed to waiting out the whole week?
I also don't mind letting my employer know that, although I appreciate the opportunity to resign before being termed, I will need the employment insurance while I am seeking new work....and can't resign. As I said before, even though my employer and I are parting ways (either through resignation or termination), I still have a good relationship with them. Would I be foolish to let them know that the reason I'm not resigning is because of the unemployment insurance?

Any more info or advice would be really helpful. Thanks!

I understand you are comfortable enough with your employer to discuss these issues with them...but your employer is never your advocate. They are not your friends. They will protect their own interest first at all times, even if that may inconvenience you.

I think if your employer wanted to "let you go" sooner than the date they already decided to terminate you, they would have done so without you offering the idea. This is not the first time they are doing this, I'm sure...so they are better at this game than you are.

If you are terminated, you can try applying for unemployment, but even if you had a valid reason, your employer still can contest you - so it's never a sure shot. Go to the website for your state's unemployment and learn about how one qualifies to receive unemployment benefits. There are certain criteria you must meet. That way, you will have a better idea of exactly what you need to be able to tell them to qualify for it.

Telling your employer about your need for unemployment benefits - may or may not be a good thing - it's "tricky" - like you said. I've seen a seemingly "nice" employer fight tooth and nail over an ex-employee who got "let go" - applied for the unemployment benefits. I've also seen the exact opposite - where an employer dangled the unemployment benefits - to entice the worker to be allowed to be terminated. In that case, they were doing the employee a favor because they had a good relationship - and also, the company was able to afford to do such a thing. If I'm not mistaken, having more ex-employees claiming unemployment will cause the premium payment for that company to go up. So it's not like companies have any incentive to let anyone claim unemployment.

I sincerely hope everything turns out all right for you in the end.

Beth3

So is it pretty much a fact that I'll have to let myself be terminated to be able to qualify for unemployment insurance? No. I can't speak to AZ UC reg's in particular but in the great majority of States (if not all of them), being given an option of "resign or be terminated" is the same as being terminated. Provided that option was not provided because someone engaged in willful misconduct, then the individual should be eligible for UC benefits.

RSully, the only wrinkle might be if, after you resigned, your employer tried to contest benefits on the basis that you had resigned - which would very likely only serve to delay your receiving benefits (due to the UC office's need to follow the customary claim review procedures when an employer contests eligibilty.) I'd suggest you discuss this issue with your employer and if they say they won't contest benefits if you resign and you're comfortable with that, then proceed as you wish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">