• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I seek an attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pbarea

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

Some people including myself were terminated from work. Based on what I have knowledge of, all of the people who were terminated have or have family that are on their insurance with continuing medical issues. Would it be worth my time to seek an attorneys advice. We have all been given a severance package also.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

Some people including myself were terminated from work. Based on what I have knowledge of, all of the people who were terminated have or have family that are on their insurance with continuing medical issues. Would it be worth my time to seek an attorneys advice. We have all been given a severance package also.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Why do you think your company did anything wrong?

swalsh411

If your former employer was halfway competent they had you sign a document agreeing not to sue before they gave you any severance pay. And even if they didn't, no laws were broken. It's not illegal to fire employees who are raising their health care costs.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well.....actually, if it could be shown that the employees who were laid off, were selected on the basis of their use of the health plan, that could be a violation of ERISA.

pbarea

The reason for the termination was lack of work, the reason I feel that something incorrect was done was due to the fact that based on my work record among other things, my reviews were excellent and my boss did not want them to let me go. Really cant go into much detail on here. Yes, we must sign a severance package before getting the money and yes there is a section about not being able to sue, that is why I am asking before I do anything with it.

Betty

That's why I asked the reason given for the termination - it can't be for use of the health plan. (though even if it was they probably weren't told that)

pbarea, was this a layoff? (sounds like it) How many employees were laid off? Do you know for sure all the laid off employees/employees' dependents continually used their health ins. as opposed to others not laid off?

Thanks.

Betty

pbarea, your reply wasn't there yet when I started typing my prior post but you got your post submitted off first. We were typing at the same time.

Betty

It seems you didn't sign the severance agreement yet. I don't know how many of you were laid off but if you all believe it was due to using your health ins., you all might want to talk to an attorney.

You can check back for other suggestions/opinions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">