• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sign on bonus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

skelley

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was hired by a company and promised a 1000.00 sign on bonus after the completion of 1 year. When a year had passed I confronted my employer about the bonus, he said he is not going to pay me. He says that because I changed positions within the company and because my salary has changed he doesn't have to pay the bonus. I have a copy of my 'welcome aboard' letter which states my salary, commission structure, and my sign on bonus. This letter is signed by the owner of the company. Could I take this to small claims court and win?
Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can take it to small claims court if you want to, but whether you would win or not is anyone's guess. A "welcome aboard" letter is NOT a contract. Whether it is binding or not depends on many factors not available to us, such as the exact wording of the letter and case law from your state.

A cheaper way than small claims court would be to contact your state Department of Labor and see what they say.

S

skelley

Thanks for the reply. I will call the DOL in the morning. As far as the wording, "Compensation: $33,000.00 yearly salary, plus $1000.00 bonus paid after 1-year anniversary."
Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">