• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sign on bonus question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tbutlerhou

Hi,

I'm writing from Texas. I have a question about sign on bonuses. I joined a company and had to sign an agreement saying that I'd pay back the entire bonus if I left within 24 months. I want to leave now but it has not been 24 months yet. Does my employer have the legal right to force me to repay the amount in total?

Thanks,
Tom

JETX

This one is really simple.... YES!

You signed a contract with the provision that you stay for 24 months minimum or pay back the 'bonus'. You leave early, you pay. If you don't pay, the employer could sue you and, unless you can show some substantial reason for leaving early, you will lose and then owe the bonus, plus court costs, plus attorney fees, plus interest.

T

tbutlerhou

From another perspective,

Do companies typically pursue this? How far will they usually go? My boss is a really nasty guy, I knew him before I went to work for him but I was a customer then so I didn't see this side of him then. I'm wishing I'd never taken this job.

JETX

With all due respect, you are asking us to answer the unanswerable.... what will someone that we know nothing about do????

If he is as 'nasty' as you say, and if the amount is enough, and if he has a bad day, and if he really hates you, and if he has a brother who is an attorney..... he will probably go after you, or maybe not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">