• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sign clause that you received employee handbook

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cheesypoof

employee handbook contains non-compete; forced to sign

What is the name of your state?NC

I am being forced to sign that I have rec'd copy of handbook that states I cannot be an agent, owner or otherwise for a competing business. If I sign that I rec'd copy of handbook, does this constitute that I have signed the non-compete clause?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Without seeing the EXACT wording of the clause and the context in which it is placed, no one can answer that question. We cannot interpret a document which we have not read.

cheesypoof

exact wording

NC

The handbook was given to all employees with a seperate paper stating that each emp had read and does understand the handbook with the rules and regulations and you are expected to abide by these aforementioned rules of the company. This seperate paper also states that each employee is aware that NC is an employment at-will state and employment can be terminated at-will without cause.

The handbook is the usual until you get to the last page where there is an agreement and covenent not to compete. It states:

Employees agrees he shall not during his employment with company and for a period of 18 mos following termination of employment engage directly or indirectly as an owner, agent, officer, director, shareholder or otherwise in any business or activity which is the same as or similar to company has been engaged in.

This covenant not to compete shall apply to the extent legally permissable in the geographic area said company currently engages in business including the State of North Carolina and the State of Virginia.

There is also covenant not to disclose information.

Now--I questioned the format of this paragraph located within the handbook and was told by the store mgr that this applied only to starting a new business which would directly compete with my current employer. But this same store mgr also tried to make me sign the paper that I had read the handbook and received the handbook by telling me it did NOT apply to current employees but only new employees and that there were no real changes from the handbook I currently had. I had previous info about this covenant and requested that I be allowed to read the handbook in his presence prior to signing. When I questioned the non-compete as worded above, he did admit this was a change but that it did not apply to me.

Is this enforceable as far as employment goes, or just starting a new business?
I need your h elp

\

BelizeBreeze

This is the third time you've asked that same question and the SECOND time I'm not going to answer. You know why? Because the answer was given the VERY FIRST time you posted this exact same question.

cheesypoof

I understood that my post was a reply to cbg. I have a real problem here and I need all the input that I can get. I appreciate that you are using your time in order to provide me with some help. My reply was to the post asking for EXACT wording. The fact that you feel you have to respond in such a critical manner is not at all helpful.

BelizeBreeze

cheesypoof said:
I understood that my post was a reply to cbg. I have a real problem here and I need all the input that I can get. I appreciate that you are using your time in order to provide me with some help. My reply was to the post asking for EXACT wording. The fact that you feel you have to respond in such a critical manner is not at all helpful.
Helpful? You want helpful? Then go back to your VERY FIRST post on this issue and read it. THAT was the ONLY legal advice that you needed but are too damn dense to comprehend.

cheesypoof

been hit but laughing

Earlier in the week, I was ordered to attend a mandatory meeting and I admit my nerves were frazzled... I appreciate the input from this forum; it gave me some insight. I did take a hit. Such an angry young man.

ljt99

BelizeBreeze said:
Helpful? You want helpful? Then go back to your VERY FIRST post on this issue and read it. THAT was the ONLY legal advice that you needed but are too damn dense to comprehend.
BelizeBreeze,
I've seen some of the biggest a**holes on the internet on this forum but you take the prize. Why do you even bother to post a reply if you cannot be the least bit civil?

So the poster asked the same question on two different threads. Is that any reason to become so hostile you sound like a raving lunatic? Send the "free advice forum" police after him and have him locked up for life!!! Geez, get a life!

I don't understand why you are even on this forum. If you can't post an answer without being the biggest a**hole in the world, then stay out of it. Your signature shows that you obviously go with the "be rude to everyone" theme in life. You must be a really miserable person. Do us all a favor and SHUT UP!!

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

ljt99 said:
BelizeBreeze,
I've seen some of the biggest a**holes on the internet on this forum but you take the prize. Why do you even bother to post a reply if you cannot be the least bit civil?

So the poster asked the same question on two different threads. Is that any reason to become so hostile you sound like a raving lunatic? Send the "free advice forum" police after him and have him locked up for life!!! Geez, get a life!

I don't understand why you are even on this forum. If you can't post an answer without being the biggest a**hole in the world, then stay out of it. Your signature shows that you obviously go with the "be rude to everyone" theme in life. You must be a really miserable person. Do us all a favor and SHUT UP!!
Well then what is the correct LEGAL answer to this poster's question?

I'll check back just to make sure you get it right.

HINT: go look at his first post. He received the correct legal answer within 10 minutes of posting his question.

ljt99

BelizeBreeze said:
Well then what is the correct LEGAL answer to this poster's question?

I'll check back just to make sure you get it right.

HINT: go look at his first post. He received the correct legal answer within 10 minutes of posting his question.
I did not attempt to give the poster an answer, correct or otherwise, to his question. My post simply addressed the extreme rudeness you use in most all of your posts. I have read numerous replies that you have given and you are the rudest person, by far, that I have ever encountered. Why do you have to post with such venom? I realize people sometimes do not express themselves in the most concise manner, and may make the mistake of posting the same question in more than one thread, but why do you feel you must reply in the hateful and disrespectful way that you do?
There are ways to get your point across, or questions asked, without being rude as hell about it. If you've already answered the question the poster is asking, maybe they would like another person's opinion. Maybe they would like the opinion of TEN different people. They have that right.
If you have been on this forum for so long that you no longer have patience to deal with people, I really believe you would be better off staying away. Why bother replying when you don't have an answer and are just being abusive? Lighten up!

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

ljt99 said:
I did not attempt to give the poster an answer, correct or otherwise, to his question. My post simply addressed the extreme rudeness you use in most all of your posts. I have read numerous replies that you have given and you are the rudest person, by far, that I have ever encountered. Why do you have to post with such venom? I realize people sometimes do not express themselves in the most concise manner, and may make the mistake of posting the same question in more than one thread, but why do you feel you must reply in the hateful and disrespectful way that you do?
There are ways to get your point across, or questions asked, without being rude as hell about it. If you've already answered the question the poster is asking, maybe they would like another person's opinion. Maybe they would like the opinion of TEN different people. They have that right.
If you have been on this forum for so long that you no longer have patience to deal with people, I really believe you would be better off staying away. Why bother replying when you don't have an answer and are just being abusive? Lighten up!
So, to sum up, you have absolutely nothing to contribute except your own infantile rant from the stick up your butt.

Just another troll and not very original at that. :rolleyes:

ljt99

BelizeBreeze said:
So, to sum up, you have absolutely nothing to contribute except your own infantile rant from the stick up your butt.

Just another troll and not very original at that. :rolleyes:

Not going to let go of that "rudest a**hole on this forum" title, are you? Your reply does not surprise me at all. Even if I just offer sympathy to someone with a problem on this website, that is contributing something more constructive than your incessant verbal abuse.

I am not a troll, just someone who thinks a little common courtesy goes a long way. I should have known your kind does not have a conscience. I sure hope you don't have a family and I pity them if you do.

You are the surest sign that the devil does indeed inhabit the earth that I have seen in some time. Go crawl back into the snake hole you are firmly rooted to. I'm sorry I tried to show you how evil you come across to others. Apparently you enjoy it. Good bye.

S

seniorjudge

You are the surest sign that the devil does indeed inhabit the earth that I have seen in some time.

I would please like to see a little more evidence for this than BB's posts. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">