• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signed employment agreement- but don't want to join

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

del323i

Six months ago, my current employer's business was put on sale by the parent company and there was a lot of job insecurity. I decided to move on and was offered a job by company #2. I signed a job acceptance letter/contract with company #2 in March 2001 and have a start date of August 2001(I am still with my 1st employer & have not resigned my position). In the meantime, my current company was sold and the new owners have offered a great interest in retaining me & it looks like a nice promotion may be on the way if I stay.
Can I back out of switching to company #2 ? My contract for the new job states that "employment is at will" but I need to reimburse the company for "expenses" if I quit within the 1st year of my "start date". They have made some expenses so far for my visa but have not made any direct disbursements to me.
I would appreciate feedback on what my financial liability may be if I do not start the new job.
SD
Ohio

L

loku

Emoyment contract

Without seeing the contract, it is not possible to give you a definite opintion, but from what you say, you would be liable to them for expenses. Determining the expenses may be a little more complex then you think. In addition to the visa expense, they may have some administrative expense, such as the cost of the interviews and the legal cost of makin up the contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">