• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signed Employment Offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FairShare

What is the name of your state? WA

Recently received a signed (by all parties) letter of employment for an executive position. Letter detailed job responsibilities, phased in responsibilities, timeline, pay, bonus, benefits, partnership potential and other specifics. I was to begin work and the day before, I was contacted by owners stating that they now wanted to change the terms of the offer. Reason is primarily because the person currently in the role has said he will quit (they claim they need his insight for a current negotiation of a job gone awry). Because I have since turned down 1 other offer (documented in writing), my ability to gain negotiation advantage is diminished in the small industry I am working in. I will now suffer financial loss and possibly a demotion in job responsibilities (few positions available in the local industry). Is this a breech of contract and what are my options?

FairShare

wa

sorry. they want to change it by changing the job title - less responsibility. I originally interviewed for one title and now they are thinking that because the existing individual has threatened to quite in the midst of a pending legal dispute involving a project, that they need to retain his knowledge of the situation vs proceed with replacing him. During this time, I have turned down a written job offer as well as another out of town verbal offer for positions equal to or greater than theirs. The position they offered also included payment of my cobra until the company benefits took affect as well as a partnership in the company within the next 6 months. Being that the new position is no longer a sr management position, it does not allow for bonus or partnership. I would be giving up positions that did offer such which I turned down to accept this position (which also offered in writing). If I turn down the lesser position, I jepordize payment of cobra, bonus options and partnership opportunities. I also take a position of lesser responsibility and one with a title that is no longer senior.

I am considering a counter offer, while at the same time approaching the previous offers. Not sure how that may play out.

Any advice? Do I have a legal option?

BelizeBreeze

From the facts in your post, no, you do not have any legal recourse. Unless you have signed a firm contract, an offer is only that, an offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">