• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing Blank Paper

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikkih

Washington State- Recently, my employer passed around a blank piece of paper at work and asked everyone to sign it. One woman refused to sign the paper and was fired for insubordination. Is it legal to ask an employee to sign a blank piece of paper?

Antigone*

Washington State- Recently, my employer passed around a blank piece of paper at work and asked everyone to sign it. One woman refused to sign the paper and was fired for insubordination. Is it legal to ask an employee to sign a blank piece of paper?
There is noting illegal about being asked to sign a blank piece of paper.

nikkih

The store manager wanted the employees to understand a part of our employee handbook so she handed around the blank piece of paper for everyone to sign regarding that section. I'm not sure why she didn't write a few words to explain what everyone was signing, but everyone was asked to sign the same piece of paper with that intention.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No laws were violated by that directive. Nor was firing someone for refusing illegal.

We won't discuss whether or not it was smart.

commentator

This person who was fired for refusing to sign the paper will probably qualify for unemployment benefits, as I doubt if this is going to rise to the level of major misconduct. Hope she didn't have a history of warnings for insubordination or failure to follow instructions.

In the case of an unemployment hearing, whether or not the employee had signed a part or all of the handbook might be considered, regarding whether they KNEW they could be fired for doing or not doing a certain thing. ("Did you know it was against the rules?" ) An employee's signature on the manual or policy statement is going to be fairly conclusive.

However, if you told the hearing officer that the employer passed around a blank sheet of paper and instructed all the employees to sign it, without going over the policy or telling you why you were signing the paper, then it would not be valid as a statement that you had read and understood the new or existing policy. So it would not accomplish anything anyway. It really wasn't worth losing a job over, but I do agree with the employee who was terminated. In this situation, it was a bad idea and a bad practice on the part of the employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">