• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing bonus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wert

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Florida
I signed an agreement to a signing bonus (10 grand) with my company where I have been employed for 6 months. If I voluntarily terminate my employment or if they terminate it for misconduct in the first 18 months, I must repay the amount.
The company has not, in grand detail, supported my marketing efforts as they agreed (I'm a registered rep-broker). I am looking for alternative employment as there is no future here, and certainly no financial reward.
Is my only alternative to not repay this bonus to get fired for other reasons then misconduct and/or quit and fight it in court??
The position is not as they stated and I can't pay my bills with the salary now, or in the near future. I have to leave.

Beth3

You really need to see an attorney. The key question is whether the company misrepresented the position to you in order to induce you to accept the job and if so whether that nullifies the agreement to repay the signing bonus. That's something only a local attorney can advise you on after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">