• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing Bonus Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kissell

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California.

I was hired 5 1/2 months ago. At the time of hire I was given a signing bonus. They agreed to pay half at the time of hire, and the other half after six months.
I was laid off yesterday due to a reduction in workforce, a few weeks short of the 6 month anniversary, and was told since I didnt work for six months, I would not be paid the bonus, but they are offering my a 1 month severance.
Can I argue/fight to get this bonus money? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

BelizeBreeze

Of course you can argue, stomp your feet and even hold your breath until you turn blue. But, as far as legal recourse, there is none.

pattytx

Unless you have a valid, enforceable contract (not just an offer letter) stating that you will receive this remaining amount even if terminated, Belize is right, you have no recourse.

You are lucky they are offering you one month's severance for just working there less than 6 months. Often, even if severance is offered (and it need not be), it is only 1 week per year of service, or maybe two.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">