• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing a release upon termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr_Natural

What is the name of your state? NC
We recently had a mass firing. I could be next on the list. I figure they ask you to sign an agreement that you forfeit your right to sue the company. You probably don't get your severance if you don't sign it, but I wouldn't get that much anyway. I've been there 2 years and am 53 years old.

What some thoughts on signing such an agreement.

Beth3

My thoughts are that these agreements are completely commonplace and unless you have a specific reason to sue your employer and are likely to prevail, you have nothing to lose by signing the agreement. Many employers request employees sign waivers when severance is being offered. It is in no way an admission on the part of an employer that they have acted wrongfully and that an employee has any basis to sue.

A

allen03

Beth,
Question. I understand your answer to the poster. And in her case sounds like she sees it coming.

Most people don't.

But aren't these agrements also a pressure tactic? "You don't sign now, you get no $$$". Someone behinf on the rent with 4 kids will often sign anything to get a check. Once the employee has had time to absorb the reality of being fired, they might think if and have proof of any number of actionable areas.

Are these "agreements" ever thrown out? "Signed under duress" or something like that?

JETX

"Are these "agreements" ever thrown out?"
*** Of course there could be some extreme cases where the courts would dismiss the agreement, but those cases are very seldom and often not worth the 'gamble' of spending thousands of dollars on legal fees.

"Signed under duress" or something like that?""
*** No. Impending economic hardship is not duress.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">