• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing/relocation bonus question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IrishTree

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

When I was hired I was given a signing/relocation bonus, with the stipulation that if I quit or was fired within one year I would have to pay the bonus back. When I started the job, I was placed in a less desirable position within the firm than I was promised upon the date of hiring (unfortunately it was verbally, not in writing).

If I quit, must I still pay back the bonus?

pattytx

Well, that's what the agreement you signed said.

As an aside, why do they say they did not "place" you in the position for which you interviewed and accepted?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Probably. But only a lawyer in your state who has read the ENTIRE document can say for sure.

IrishTree

I was promised I would work in a particular group, but when I started, I was told to report to a different group. It is the same company, just a different job in a different group.

Thanks for the quick responses!

BelizeBreeze

IrishTree said:
I was promised I would work in a particular group, but when I started, I was told to report to a different group. It is the same company, just a different job in a different group.

Thanks for the quick responses!
then either put up with it until you don't have to pay them back or pa them back....easy huh?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">