• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing rights away or Fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Abbayarra

What is the name of your state? California
A new revision of our handbook was released. We are required to sign a form for the changes that were made. I have a question about the legality of one of the changes. It states, "Company reserves the right to change my hours, wages, and working conditions at any time."
Is this something they can force us to sign to maintain employement as a full time permanent employee?

BelizeBreeze

Abbayarra said:
What is the name of your state? California
A new revision of our handbook was released. We are required to sign a form for the changes that were made. I have a question about the legality of one of the changes. It states, "Company reserves the right to change my hours, wages, and working conditions at any time."
Is this something they can force us to sign to maintain employement as a full time permanent employee?
Of course you're not obligated to sign it. but they are not also obligated to continue your employment.

Besides, you signing that document doesn't change anything. The company can even now, without that document, change your hourse, wages or working conditions.

Guess that kind of screws up not signing it doesn't it?

Beth3

I have a question about the legality of one of the changes. It states, "Company reserves the right to change my hours, wages, and working conditions at any time." Yes, that is perfectly legal. If your employer tells you on Monday that they need you to start working second shift on Tuesday, that is entirely their perogative. (Your perogative is to walk out the door if you don't like it.)

Is this something they can force us to sign to maintain employement as a full time permanent employee? They're not going to put a gun to your head. Signing the receipt doesn't "validate" the policy changes or Handbook. It's valid with or without your signature. Signing the receipt is simply an acknowledgement that you received the handbook. If the employer wishes to make continued employment contingent on acknowledging receipt of the revised handbook, they are free to do so.

Refusing to sign the receipt makes NO legal difference whatsoever in the validity of the Handbook so refusing to sign is extremely foolish. You are subject to the employer's practices and policies regardless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">