• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dannybarcelona

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi - I have a complicated situation that I would love to be able to find a resolution to.

I was hired 2 years ago by a company for a specific job with X salary/benefits, etc., and was told that if everything went well in 3 months I would have a review and a raise, with a review every 6 months after that. In two years I've had 2 reviews, and one very meager salary increase that occurred a year after I started.

In the last 6 months or so, I've been asked to do multiple tasks that are outside of my 'job description' (nothing in writing for this company, no), and quite frankly, I've been avoiding doing the tasks out of frustration with the salary situation. Basically they want to change my job description (with added skill sets) without paying any more money. And if I flat out refuse to do the tasks, can they fire me for not doing tasks that aren't 'in my job description' ? Other departments in the company have had raises, bonuses, and my department gets 'we can't give you a cost of living increase.'

Is there any legal recourse for this? The higher ups keep nothing on paper, so my guess is that there is little I can do. Can I file grievances?

I've been looking for another job for the past year and as soon as I have one I'm walking out of here.

Any help much appreciated

Last edited:

HomeGuru

dannybarcelona said:
What is the name of your state? New York

Hi - I have a complicated situation that I would love to be able to find a resolution to.

I was hired 2 years ago by a company for a specific job with X salary/benefits, etc., and was told that if everything went well in 3 months I would have a review and a raise, with a review every 6 months after that. In two years I've had 2 reviews, and one very meager salary increase that occurred a year after I started.

In the last 6 months or so, I've been asked to do multiple tasks that are outside of my 'job description' (nothing in writing for this company, no), and quite frankly, I've been avoiding doing the tasks out of frustration with the salary situation. Basically they want to change my job description (with added skill sets) without paying any more money. And if I flat out refuse to do the tasks, can they fire me for not doing tasks that aren't 'in my job description' ? Other departments in the company have had raises, bonuses, and my department gets 'we can't give you a cost of living increase.'

Is there any legal recourse for this? The higher ups keep nothing on paper, so my guess is that there is little I can do. Can I file grievances?

I've been looking for another job for the past year and as soon as I have one I'm walking out of here.

Any help much appreciated
**A: yes, they can fire you. And yes, you can file anything you want but would be a wast of time and money.

D

dannybarcelona

so i'm screwed? (until i find a new job, anyway)

Beth3

And if I flat out refuse to do the tasks, can they fire me for not doing tasks that aren't 'in my job description' ? Yes.

Other departments in the company have had raises, bonuses, and my department gets 'we can't give you a cost of living increase. That stinks but it's not illegal.

Is there any legal recourse for this? No.

The higher ups keep nothing on paper, so my guess is that there is little I can do. Can I file grievances? You can try but there's nothing to prevent your employer from tossing your grievance in the shredder.

A job discription is nothing but a piece of paper on which an employer lists a bunch of tasks/responsibilities - and it can be as arbitrary as an employer wishes to make it. No law requires employers to have JD's to begin with and they can change them anytime they want, so complaining about being asked to do something that's "not in my job description" is an irrelevant issue.

Good luck with the job search. Hopefully the right opportunity will come along soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">