• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trison

What is the name of your state? MA

I would like to know if I can or should persue a slander/defamation suit against my former manager. I worked for him as a sales representative and did very well - have the performance reviews, etc. At an ovenight meeting I returned to my hotel room with a colleague and friend to utilize the phone before going out again. My roommate (anothe colleague) was in the room at the time. The roommate had psychological problems (on anti-depressant and valium) and mis-understood a comment I made about an ironing board - thinking I called her a midget (board was broken). As witnessed by other colleague, the roommate went crazy- calling me names and almost attacking me (she went over the edge). I apologized (thru tears) and tried to make amends (no luck). I left the room hysterical along with my friend trying to console me and left the "postal" roommate behind. The next morning, I approached my manager to ask to see him in private. He told me he had heard all about it already from the roommate and refused to hear my side. My friend/colleague/witness also tried to discuss with him and he brushed her aside. In short- the whole management team and many other sales personnel thought I had called this woman a midget. Later that day- manager told me to forget about it - over with- although we never discussed it fully. That night, the roommate tells me she was so sorry that it occurred but she would complain about me again if she felt like it and that our manager told her that he would fire me. I told her that it gave me no other option but to not to speak with her ever again....she went crazy again - this time no witness. I did not get fired but he made my life unpleasant and all management team thought that I was some sort of nasty person and less then a team player. I finally left the company and the friend who witnessed the first night attack told me that she owed me an apology because I always told her that others thought that I was the problem - not the roommate I had. She stated that after I left the company 2 other managers told her that it was good that I was gone because of that incident. She put them straight and told them the real story-they never knew the truth and were surprised to hear it. 18 mos later I was asked to join yet another sales force getting ready to launch a new product for which I had a specialty in. Upon joining I found that my former manager had also been hired to be my manager's manager (he got a promotion). I immediately discussed with the new company's HR associate and told her my misgivings about his fairness based on past episode (he never resolved and made my professional life miserable) but I told HR that I was also willing to start fresh with him. He always avoided me as much as possible (which is fine) but a little over one year after starting with the company I was abruptly terminated --even though my numbers were great (#2 in Region). I was told that I was no longer part of the team. Subsequently, my hiring manager told me after my firing that the first day on the job my former manager went to HR and tried to get my offer rescinded....they refused citing my references were all excellent. My hiring manager also told me that this manager went around and started telling stories about me being so nasty etc (story as told above). I was making 6 figures ($125) and after 7 mos finally found a position for half the amount I was making. I have had a few former customers confide in me that comments are still being made about me. I had a wonderful specialty customer base that I do not sell to now and I am now concerned that if I even can find a new position in that specialty I will be forever working to clear my name! Losing my reputation hurts far more then the loss in income. I am wondering if I should/could obtain a lawyer and sue for damages based on slander/defamation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In order to pursue a claim of slander, the burden of proof will be on you to show that the manager LIED. Not described factually an unpleasant occurrance, not misunderstood what happened, not offered an opinion that runs contrary to yours, but deliberately falsified information. From your description of the circumstances, I suspect that you will have a hard time meeting that standard.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">