• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hfh250

What is the name of your state?
Michigan

I recently quit my job due to intolerable working conditions. The office manager had been replaced and all the new one did was complain, even in front of patients. This went on for months. I decided to just ignore her complaining and keep all conversation strictly business to avoid having to talk about her crappy sex life and how many things she had to fix at the front desk. I didn't care about either and rather tell her that in a rude way I would just ignore any conversation heading in that direction. Keep in mind I was extremely polite to her after having decided to keep our conversations on a business level only as to not upset her. After having walked away from a very unprofessional conversation she started having with a patient about her personal life, in an attemp to avoid yet another uneasy situation, she proceeds to call me Miss. Attitude in front of the patient and other staff. The day I quit she came into the lab and started yelling at me for not being 'nice' to her. She told me how I needed to respect her and that I wasn't being very professional toward her. I have a mother and I am not taking applications for a new one anytime soon. I told her that I wasn't going to listen to it anymore and I left. I had spoken to the doctor about this problem for weeks before I left and nothing was done. I know I can't do anything about leaving my job but now I have other staff members and just earlier today, a patient called to tell me that she is bad mouthing me to everyone that walks through the door that asks about where I am. I am afraid she will ruin my reputation in the working community. Is there anything that I can do about this? I am completely lost as I have never had this happen to me before. Any helpful response is very much appreciated.

Beth3

rather tell her that in a rude way I would just ignore any conversation heading in that direction. Which, unfortunately, was just as rude.

I agree the manager's behavior is completely unprofessional but in all honesty, yours wasn't much better. The professional thing to have done would have been to tell her privately that you prefer not to discuss personal matters in the office - not just turn around and walk off when the woman is talking about something you don't care to hear.

Whether what she's saying about you constitues slander depends upon exactly what she is saying and whether you have or will suffer any damages as a result.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">