• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ridunne

I had just been hired for a job at a retail gas station 1 week ago, today(12/27/00) They told me my former employer told them I had been fired for stealing money. This was not true. I had quit that job because I had worked 4 months without a day off. My present employer said I had to leave the store because I was untrustworthy. Now they will not pay me because they said they did not fire me I quit (walked out) I did not walk out though. Missouri law states the employer must pay a terminated employee at the time of dissmissal. My question is what can I do besides drop my former employer from my resume. I was with the former employer for a year 1/2 This is part of my employment experance.

C

codecontra

Advice

I would think you have a good case for defamation/ slander. If it is not true and you can prove it, or more importantly, your former employer cannot prove you stole, they did slander you and you were damaged (fired) as a result. You will also have to prove they said this in the first place, which might be tough. As for the quitting/ firing thing against your recent employer, I believe it does not matter. If you worked, you need to be reimbursed for the time you actually worked, period. How much time do they owe you for?

I would look for a free consultation with a labor/ employment attorney (links on this site). Someone who would take this case on a contingency (won't take any money unless you get a settlement, then takes a percentage). If that fails, maybe small claims. If it were me, I'd forget about the slander thing, drop both employers from your resume, sue the recent employer in small claims for any time you were not paid for, and move on with your life, but that's just me.

Keep in mind, I am not an attorney and this is my opinion only. I do have a fair amount of knowledge about the law though. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">