• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this slander/defamation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

northland123

STATE: ND (sorry - posted previously under wrong forum)

My husband is a branch manager for an office staff of 8 employees. Recently, a female employee he supervises composed a 2 page email in anger directly to my husband, and also copied all other employees in the office. The email includes numerous false accusations, for example saying ''we all know why you were fired from your other job...''. My husband has never been terminated from a position. The email includes other comments attacking his character. This email was also sent to my husbands corporate office by her. We live in a small community and although future employers and contacts may not say on record what has been told them, the contents of this email became well known. When my husband approached corporate and was extremely concerned that this mass-email could be defamatory or considered slander, they took no action. The email was not addressed with her - nor was she asked to retract her false comments. Even though his corporate office did not take appropriate efforts to stop her actions, does my husband possibly have a slander/defamation of character case against his company?
He is currently pursuing another job offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">