• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander or Wrongful Termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

oplin

What is the name of your state? WI

I was just recently fired from Hardees (fast food). The reason i was told was because i was stealing and 2 - 3 people said i was. I never stole anything and there has never been a problem on any of my drawers. I was wondering if i'd have a case for slander with either the general manager or employees who said it? I do not know of the employee's would i be able to legally get their names? or if i got in writting i was fired for stealing would i have a case?

any help is greatly appreciated.

HomeGuru

oplin said:
What is the name of your state? WI

I was just recently fired from Hardees (fast food). The reason i was told was because i was stealing and 2 - 3 people said i was. I never stole anything and there has never been a problem on any of my drawers. I was wondering if i'd have a case for slander with either the general manager or employees who said it? I do not know of the employee's would i be able to legally get their names? or if i got in writting i was fired for stealing would i have a case?

any help is greatly appreciated.
**A: ok, what's the real and complete story?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The employer is legally allowed to fire you if he honestly believes you are stealing, even if he is mistaken.

If you could find out SPECIFICALLY who made the accusation, you MIGHT be able to make a case. The employer is NOT under any legal obligation to tell you, however.

O

oplin

There's more details. There was this manager that was there, and on everyone of her shifts her drawers were short (the ones she counted she didn't work on them) i worked on several of her shifts but not nearly all of them. She was fired for stealing money. There were no money problems after that in the store. Everyone didn't like her and i didn't like her. I told the general manager several times she never does her job, gives her family free food and everyone else. Someone recently said i stole the money to set her up. I figured out who they were and talked to them, basically they believed what the manager said that was fired. I told them my side and they appologized to the general manager for just basing it off of rumors. The other person that said something, only said it might have been possible.

So if i get fired and the reason i was fired was for stealing (based on rumors) would i have a case for slander if i can get it in writing that was why i was fired? Or can he even say i was fired for stealing if there's noone that says i did anymore?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

oplin said:
There's more details. There was this manager that was there, and on everyone of her shifts her drawers were short (the ones she counted she didn't work on them) i worked on several of her shifts but not nearly all of them. She was fired for stealing money. There were no money problems after that in the store. Everyone didn't like her and i didn't like her. I told the general manager several times she never does her job, gives her family free food and everyone else. Someone recently said i stole the money to set her up. I figured out who they were and talked to them, basically they believed what the manager said that was fired. I told them my side and they appologized to the general manager for just basing it off of rumors. The other person that said something, only said it might have been possible.

So if i get fired and the reason i was fired was for stealing (based on rumors) would i have a case for slander if i can get it in writing that was why i was fired? Or can he even say i was fired for stealing if there's noone that says i did anymore?
========================================

My response:

At first you said, "I was just recently fired from Hardees"

And now you're saying, "So if i get fired . . ."

Were you "fired" or not?

Also, where did you get the idea that the phrase "no one" was spelled "noone"?

IAAL

O

oplin

Yes i was fired, i just mis typed that
and sorry about my spelling error.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">