• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slandered at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vixta43

What is the name of your state?
Colorado

Two weeks ago I fell at work and hurt my back and am/was on workmans comp. I am a school bus driver and was permitted by the workmans comp doctor to ride with another driver but not to drive the bus. About one week after this began, a coworker of mine reported to our supervisor that I had stated that I was going to "bring an oozie to work and take care of everything". This coworker also coerced two other new coworkers into making the same claim. I never said anything even remotely close to this statement. Immediately my supervisor placed me on administrative leave pending a meeting with the Human resources department and interviews with other coworkers who were in the room at the same time as I when I allegedly made this remark. I had a meeting with my supervisor and Human resources a week ago and there still has been no decision as to whether or not I am still employed or how I may be disciplined. Meanwhile, the Human Resources dept. removed me from Workmans comp and placed me strictly on aministrative leave. My workmans comp doctor did not remove me to full duty.
Do I have any recourse? Can I be fired based on heresay? I have a hearing tomorrow and don't know if I have any rights if they say I am fired. Also, haven't they made an aggregious mistake in taking me off workmans comp without the doctors consent. PLEASE HELP!!! URGENT!!!!

vixta43

Because I prefer to be away from the main person who started this. I do not wish to be her friend. She is rude,crass etc.

Beth3

I have a hearing tomorrow and don't know if I have any rights if they say I am fired. If the employer terminates you, you have no claim against them for wrongful termination if that is your question. Your employer gets to decide who to believe and act accordingly. If you want to know whether you have a claim for slander against the individual(s) involved, you will need to consult with an attorney.

Also, haven't they made an aggregious mistake in taking me off workmans comp without the doctors consent. That depends what you mean when you say they took you "off" workman's compensation. They can change your leave status to administrative suspension due to the suspected misconduct if they wish to. The pertinent question is what the workman's compensation insurance carrier does. If your medical bills and temporary total disability benefits continue until you are released by your doctor, then there is no problem with the WC claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">