• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slanderous Reference?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

iris2000

I recently had a heated verbal confrontation with my now-former boss (a professor) when I worked at a university in Louisiana. Let me start off by saying that I am ashamed for how I acted and have already apologized for my actions to my boss. Although I behaved this way because I was sick and tired of the way this person treated not only myself but others worse than animals, and has no remorse nor acknowledgement for past behavior, still I know I said plenty of things that I should not have said, and know that my behavior could have a serious affect on my professional future.

I did a lot of valuable work for this person, work that looks great on a resume and is similar to work that I would like to do professionally. This person is probably one of my most important references, yet I'm wondering if I should continue keeping this person as one. Although we both apologized to each other after the arguement, I am the only one who is admitting any wrongdoing (sounds strange to me, too). My opinion is that this person needs to "save face" in the department and has been trying to "alter" what actually happened in more recent conversations with me. I am very worried. I am looking for my first professional job, and think I may have problems with this "more distinguished" (ha ha) person. Would you please tell me if I should keep this person as a reference, and if this person does possibly blackball me, is there any way that I can clear the record through legal action if ever necessary? If so, what type of attorney should I speak to about this? I don't want to do such a thing, but I've earned my degree, and want an opportunity just like anyone else to start a career.

I was not at work when the arguement occurred. I was on a school-sponsored trip with this professor and several students. Although I do not think this former boss could discuss something that happened outside of work, I am concerned because I've seen this person's fabrication skills, and they're quite impressive.

I was very professional when working for this professor, and worked some days for this boss without taking a lunch nor a bathroom break due to this person's unreasonable deadlines for finishing tasks (this shows how much I was thought of). Also I was kept on payroll by the professor for almost 2 months after this incident, despite the fact that I did not actually work for this boss after the incident. Our understanding was that I would work when needed while searching for full-time work.
I also did this to remain reliable to my boss while keeping a safe distance to let things cool for a while. I was very ashamed for how I acted, and tried to act in a accomodating way (if I'm making any sense) toward this professor as an act of respect.

There are many witnesses to our confrontation, some of which are not affiliated with the university. I am not sure who would admit to observing my former boss's actions, but I just wanted to mention that this is more than just one person's word against another. There are at least 10 witnesses.

I kept a lot to myself while I worked for this person. There are many people who saw how this person treated me during my employment. What really got to me, however, was how this person behaved during this trip. Such examples are: excessive speeding in a university vehicle, not stopping to let students have lunch during a trip (we left at 6:30 a.m., and students did not get to eat until almost 4 p.m.), and not stopping to let students use the bathroom until being forced to stop at a gas station to fill gas in the university vehicle.

Please help. Thank you.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You can ask him for a letter of recommendation and just present that.

OR you could limit what he says by issuing a letter to him, return receipt stipulating he is to only state your title, official duties and dates of employment.

If I were you, perhaps ask a higher up to be a reference for you...someone willing to do this, knowing this argument that happened.

I

iris2000

About my previous message (Oct.10?)...this past employer is important as a reference because the work that I did while employed is important experience for the jobs that I am applying for. If this person does indeed
commit slander, what type of lawyer should I go to for student employment at a university?

L

lawrat

You must go to either an employment labor law attorney or a personal injury attorney experienced in DEFAMATION in the workplace.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">