• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"small potatoes" conviction and banking industry?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamied66

What is the name of your state? VA

My wife has been working as a temp. associate for a top 10 (nationally) banking industry corporation. She's actually working for the mortgage division of this company in a department that deals with government insuring of loans. She is nowhere close to any actual money handling.

She's just found out that her job has become permanent, and they want to retain her for that position as a FTE.

She has a misdeameanor conviction from Jan. 2002 on her records from when she was in graduate school. She bounced a $50 check ( I keep the checkbook now!). She made good on it (was a local company that's out of business now) as soon as she discovered it. But the company had filed charges (issuing bad check < $200). Since she had already made good, she showed up in court and was honest. When asked by the judge, she said "I did it, but I've already cleared everything up, your honor". Boom. Guilty.

This company does an FBI background check on the date of hire. Will this minor blip from almost 4 years ago keep her from getting this job?

Thanks in Advance!!

Beth3

Will this minor blip from almost 4 years ago keep her from getting this job? jamie, the only person who can answer that is your wife's prospective employer. I suggest she go to HR or her boss at the bank, tell them about the incident, and ask whether it's going to bar them from hiring her directly.

It either will or it won't. There's no sense your wife going through days or weeks of anxiety wondering what they will decide.

jamied66

Thanks. She brought it to her manager's attention as soon as she was told that they were going to offer her the job.

She's not fretting over it so much as she's just wondering if she still needs to be scouring monster and hotjobs every day.

She was concerned because she found some info on convictions that the FDIC doens't allow financial institutions "to have".

Mostly, she's wondering if this is one of those "breach of trust, etc." things the FDIC itself looks at.

Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">