• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

smoke screen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dylanpage

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? georgia

Two questions

1- I was laid off. My former employer falsely claimed I quit. I won the appeal of their claim.They are appealing this decision to the state unempl. board.
Do I need an attorney.? They have so far gone out of their way to lie, now i have more of it to contend with? I am no lawyer, but I did beat em enough in appellate court.

2- Due to their lies, I am in a very dire situation, almost homeless.
Can I sue them due to this financial, mental, physical hardship i have endured thus far.?? In our times, it does not seem that an employer can get away with this...or can they?

Thanks,
Dylan

pattytx

1. If that is the last level of appeal, you may want to contact an attorney. How many levels of appeal have you prevailed on so far? Generally speaking, such appeals do not allow additional "evidence", but are decided only on the basis of whether the law was correctly applied.

commentator?

2. Sorry, no.

commentator

Yes, everything depends on the level you are to in the appeals process. If this was an initial decision, and is approved, and the employer has requested a hearing, it is still in the early stages.

But still, if this is moving to the "hearing" stage, it should be fairly easy for you to go to your hearing and tell your side of it. No attorney should be necessary if you can express yourself clearly and concisely.

In a case of "voluntarily quit" versus "terminated for cause", where you won the initial decision, the employer will be presenting their evidence first that you voluntarily quit. (They cannot, at this point, introduce a lot of extraneous things like your attendance was poor or that they caught you stealing. Well, they could, but it would not be considered deeply. Why didn't they mention it before?)

Then you will be given an opportunity to speak, telling the hearing officer exactly what has been said when you were terminated, the situation under which you were told you were terminated, and presenting any written material you were given at the time of your termination, such as a separation letter or form. You may mention whether you had had any write ups or disciplinary actions taken against you previously for the reason you quit. In other words, did you know your job was in danger? Did you try to keep your job? Were you told specifically that you were terminated, or were you given the option to quit or be fired?

If you cannot comfortably afford an attorney, and you do not feel confident going into the hearing, you can talk to legal aid in your area. Usually they are very backed up, and it will draw out length that the procedure will take a bit.

But if you have already had the hearing, there is no need to retain an attorney at this point.If you are denied in the hearing, the next step is the "board of review" and as patty said, neither you or the employer is allowed to present much of anything new here. The case will be reviewed to make sure that the unemployment laws were followed.

Make sure you have been certifying for each week that has passed since you have filed your claim. If so, and the approval decision is upheld, you will be back paid for each week you have certified for. If you haven't certified, your claim would begin as soon as you started certifying.

Can you sue your employer for trying to keep you from receiving unemployment benefits, holding up the process or lying during a hearing? No.
Unemployment insurance is not a "needs based" program. You do not receive it based on how poor you are or how badly you need the money. You receive it based on your eligibility. And the employer has a right to present their case that you should not receive it, built right into the statutes. What they are doing is not harrassment or slander, it is exercising their appeal rights.

Last edited:

Dylanpage

thank you both

Thanks for the quick info.

I should have been more specific.

I was working in california. Due to pending layoff, no jobs at my company, I had to move to Georgia for financiaL reasons.

I was upfront with my employer, gave them all my details etc.

5 dys before my last day, I was told, they would contest my unempl claim....HR and my bnosses are very separate, and seems there was some behind the scenes doings there. They claim I quit, after months of telling me of my impending layoff.

I appealed their claim, as I was denied benefits at first.
The Admin. Law judge sided with me.
Now they have hired "People's Systems" to wrtie their argument to the "Board"
That is my concern.
I fought their lies by myself, and won hands down on 3 points.
Now i have to fight again with "Peoplesystems"

I hope it goes as you said...in the appellate, the testimony of theirs was loaded wioth holes, and lies. The judge saw this clearly.

I hope the board does also.

Dylan

Antigone*

Thanks for the quick info.

I should have been more specific.

I was working in california. Due to pending layoff, no jobs at my company, I had to move to Georgia for financiaL reasons.

5 dys before my last day, I was told, they would contest my unempl claim....HR and my bnosses are very separate, and seems there was some behind the scenes doings there. They claim I quit, after months of telling me of my impending layoff.

I appealed their claim, as I was denied benefits at first.
The Admin. Law judge sided with me.
Now they have hired "People's Systems" to wrtie their argument to the "Board"
That is my concern.
I fought their lies by myself, and won hands down on 3 points.
Now i have to fight again with "Peoplesystems"

I hope it goes as you said...in the appellate, the testimony of theirs was loaded wioth holes, and lies. The judge saw this clearly.

I hope the board does also.

Dylan
I just want to make sure I understand something here. You quit because you believed you were going to be laid off?

Andy0192

1- I was laid off. My former employer falsely claimed I quit.

Dylanpage said:
should have been more specific.

5 dys before my last day, I was told, they would contest my unempl claim ...
It sounds like you quit before they could lay you off.

Dylanpage

No, I was told for months that my job would expire. Had two exit interviews. I was told I would be unemployed, my position expires on 7/30/09.
During July I made arrangemnts to relocate, as even with unemployemnt compensation, I can not afford $ to to live in calif.
My position did not exist on 8/1/09. My last day at work was 7/31/09.

My employer then saw a opportunity to claim I quit. Claims I quit in order to relocate. Not true.

It was a sneaky move on their part.

Dylanpage

Correction. Last day of work was 7/31/09. I worked that day, my final day, as the position no longer existed on 8/1/09.

I see I was foolish to be upfront and give them info on my plans.

Had I not mentioned Georgia, they would not have made the relocation an issue.
I would be unemployed in California, as far as they would know.
The management on the "clinical" side, my bosses, called it a layoff.
HR called it 'quit'. The clinical mangement then joined with HR in a story.

I believe the Admin Law judge saw through the smoke

commentator

Forget this stuff about "Admin Law Judges who agreed with you." There's a huge question here. HAVE YOU HAD YOUR IN-PERSON OR TELEPHONE HEARING? I am beginning to think not. Before you have a hearing, there is an initial decision made. Is that what you mean when you say the admin judge agreed with you? Sounds like you've had that one. Then the party who lost, which would be your employer, requests an appeal hearing. But if you have already had the hearing, there's nothing you can or need to do. You should not retain an attorney at this point, because you will not be contacted by the board of review. No matter what the employer brings up or sends in, your input will be limited to the information which got you approved in the hearing.

But if you haven't had your hearing yet, you must present your information at the hearing in your own defense.

Having dealt with People Systems many times, I can say they're not any better at this than your average employer, though they often sell themselves to employers as miracle workers. The thing is, you did show the dates you were given the notice of your impending lay off, and the records of the two exit interviews, didn't you? (If you've had a hearing already, not just an initial decision.) If not, that's what you'll be telling the appeals officer and showing him or her.

You're right, you should've left your plans to move to Georgia after your lay off on the shelf, kept it private. But you would not have moved to Georgia unless your job had ended, and you did work until the date they gave you as your last day. It was their choice, not yours.

Last edited:

Dylanpage

Commentator- Thanks a lot

Thank you. Especially for the info on People Systems. I went to their site. Yes, you are right, they sell themselves allright.

Yes, I did give a record of dates, meetings, times, quotes and names of those involved, which I think is why it has gone this far. 24 pages of Chronological info.
they could not counter it in the appeal. " i do not remember" was the best they could do.
They taught me one thing..."if it isn't documented, it never happened".

Yes, I will be a little more busines savvy in the future, keep personal info aside.

I appreciate your help very much

Dylan

Dylanpage

Yes, indeed. i did have 2 telephone interviews with EDD, then was the phone hearing with the judge. Now they take it to the ' board" as the last step.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">