• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

smoking ban on AND off work premises

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

indiana_jones

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? DC

This is slightly off topic, but I'm just curious about other people's opinions. What does everyone think of the Michigan company, Weyco, and their new policy of not allowing employees to smoke either on OR off the company premises? They will be doing a mandatory breath test for tobacco and fire any employee that fails.

Yes, I know it's technically legal in the state of Michigan, and there is nothing that can be done but find a new job. However, I'd love to hear reactions from everyone.

Personally, (I'm not a smoker) but I think if it doesn't interfere or effect job performance then it's nobody's business what is done outside of the workplace. Doesn't this just open the door to other forms of "non-acceptable" behavior that employers could decide they don't like in their employees? How many of us would need to find new jobs if our employers suddenly decided they did not want their want employees to consume alcohol outside of work??

HomeGuru

indiana_jones said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? DC

This is slightly off topic, but I'm just curious about other people's opinions. What does everyone think of the Michigan company, Weyco, and their new policy of not allowing employees to smoke either on OR off the company premises? They will be doing a mandatory breath test for tobacco and fire any employee that fails.

Yes, I know it's technically legal in the state of Michigan, and there is nothing that can be done but find a new job. However, I'd love to hear reactions from everyone.

Personally, (I'm not a smoker) but I think if it doesn't interfere or effect job performance then it's nobody's business what is done outside of the workplace. Doesn't this just open the door to other forms of "non-acceptable" behavior that employers could decide they don't like in their employees? How many of us would need to find new jobs if our employers suddenly decided they did not want their want employees to consume alcohol outside of work??
**A: I think that it is an excellent idea and wish they included no drugs, drinking and gambling too. Sex would be unlimited anywhere.

I haven't entirely followed the Weyco case (one of those things I'm going to get around to reading soon), but as an HR Manager, my gut reaction is "WooHoo!"

Although unusual, it isn't as far as I can see (but their case will be the "deciding factor," won't it?), to prohibit certain actions by employees after woking hours. This can be done for any number of reasons, including maintaining a corporate "image" in the community, or an attempt to get smokers to either quit smoking or quit working for you. If you have nothing but non-smokers on your insurance policies, and can prove it, I can see a benefit from the premium side.

It's a bit unorthodox, but smokers aren't a protected class simply because they smoke, so I think the plan, although IMO, hard to implement, monitor, and enforce, isn't necessarily a bad one.

Just as an aside...my ex-husband had a similar issue in high school. He went to a private Christian school and they prohibited smoking. He was waiting for a bus on a Saturday, smoking, a teacher saw him, and he was suspended from school for the "infraction." So you see, schools, employers, etc. do have some say so in the actions of their employees/students, especially if those actions can create a detrimental image to the organization.

Beth3

Suz, FYI, in some States smokers are in a protected class, as are drinkers. My State prohibits discrimination in employment based on the "use of lawful products while off-duty."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">