• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Smoking in the work place?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lv2surf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I've worked for the Rite Aid Co. part-time for the past two years. The Managment team along with most of the store Associates smoke within the building structure in or near the stockroom were my self and three other non-smoking Associates work for most of our scheduled shifts, thus exposing us. We feel that this is unfair and would like to know if we have a case? Thank you!:confused:

GonzoFL

Does the company have a no smoking on company property policy? I assume they don't or you would have mentioned it. Do you have a case? Well I'll tell you what...go tell your managers that are out there smoking, that you don't like it and I'd say you will find yourself with a case of the unemployed blues real fast.

pattytx

What does the city/county where the business is located say about this?

I'm pretty sure the law is that smoking is not permitted in buildings, but is permitted outside. Some jurisdictions set a minimum distance from entrances where smoking is also not permitted, but that's either a state or local law, not a wage and hour one.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not where I can look up the state law on this but I believe that smoking in the workplace is prohibited by state law in your state. It is in most states. The problem is, I"m not sure who the regulatory agency would be. Perhaps you can try contacting the board of health? If there's a state version of OSHA, you might try them as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">