• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

So I am about to be fired....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

castcore

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

So I been at this place for 8 years. Over the years, I have organized dinners with co workers whenever new people join the office, at these meetings, I tend to exxagerate the working conditions a bit, bash the boss a bit. I do this to get the new people on their toes a bit and also sort of show them who is the boss under the boss a bit, everyone does that right? I did over do it a bit last time and invited one guy who got violent with the boss a couple years back to dinner and of course things got said....

So the boss has been frustrated with our turnover rate but I am not too worried because if we are short that means my job is safe.

During last dinner, I guess a couple of new people decided to goto the boss and tell him what I said during the dinners about him.

Now he thinks I am the reason that people been leaving over the years and likely will fire me soon.

I am in California, what do I do?

Rwedunyet

There are three things that you'll need to do ASAP:

1. Learn to keep your mouth shut and show some respect for authority

2. Start looking for a new job

3. Appreciate your job for heaven's sake. IF you are short your job is safe? Seriously? Do you KNOW how many people are looking for work right now? No one's job is safe.

BTW, I'd fire you too, based on what you just presented in your post.

Proserpina

So I been at this place for 8 years. Over the years, I have organized dinners with co workers whenever new people join the office, at these meetings, I tend to exxagerate the working conditions a bit, bash the boss a bit. I do this to get the new people on their toes a bit and also sort of show them who is the boss under the boss a bit, everyone does that right? I did over do it a bit last time and invited one guy who got violent with the boss a couple years back to dinner and of course things got said....

So the boss has been frustrated with our turnover rate but I am not too worried because if we are short that means my job is safe.
No, no it doesn't.

During last dinner, I guess a couple of new people decided to goto the boss and tell him what I said during the dinners about him.
You understand why they did that...right?

Now he thinks I am the reason that people been leaving over the years and likely will fire me soon.

Pray that they don't claim insubordination when you go for UI.

It's one thing saying "Oh I'm so frustrated at Boss right now" at the water cooler. It's another thing entirely to intentionally demean and undermine your Boss. And you did it with witnesses who cottoned on to your habit and made the smart move.

You messed up, dude. You can also expect to be given an absolutely rotten reference when you're fired.

And though California is notoriously employee-friendly, even CA would seem to agree with me...

http://www.edd.ca.gov/uibdg/Misconduct_MC_255.htm

Specifically:

Ridiculing Authority

Ridiculing authority is misconduct if it does not result from an error of judgment and if it damages or tends to damage the employer's interest.

Example - Ridiculing Authority:

The claimant, a twenty-year veteran assembler, had been warned about his open contempt of, and a general unhelpfulness toward, a young efficiency expert brought in by the company to streamline production and increase profits for the company. On the claimant's last day of work, he was overheard to say to several less senior members of his assembly team, "If I were you I'd not pay any attention to that young kid. They're all alike - making robots of us. All they want to do is to automate us out. That kid's still wet behind the ears, and should do some real work around here." The employer discharged him.

Since the claimant's statement was designed to arouse discontent and foster resentment toward the employer, his discharge was for misconduct in connection with the work.
Still, you might get lucky and keep your job.

Proserpina

But what I said was outside of the office?

If you'd been in an elevator taking you from the 3rd floor to the perfume counter on the 16th floor, or if you were at a D&D tournament and were caught on camera by a rogue 10 year old with a cell phone...

You can still be fired.

You can still be denied UI.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It doesn't matter a damn bit of difference if you were on or off the clock, in or out of the office. It's still a firing offense and no, you can't sue your boss if he fires you. You did something damned foolish and you got caught and you deserve to be fired.

eerelations

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I tend to exxagerate the working conditions a bit, bash the boss a bit. I do this to get the new people on their toes a bit and also sort of show them who is the boss under the boss a bit, everyone does that right?
I doubt it. I have been working in HR for 25+ years, working with literally tens of thousands of employees, and I have never come across an employee who did this. No not ever, not at all, not even once.

Fired employees may sue their former employers for wrongful termination if they're fired directly and specifically because of a protected characteristic. Protected characteristics include things like race, gender, religion, age (but only people over 40), and religion. Bashing-the-boss-at-dinnertime-in-an-offsite-location is not a protected characteristic. Ergo, you cannot sue your boss for firing you for this reason.

Eekamouse

Not only should you be fired, you don't deserve any job until you grow up and stop being two-faced, back-stabbing malcontent of an employee. Businesses don't want or need people like you secretly promoting a poisoned work atmosphere.

Proserpina

Can I sue my boss if he fires me?

^^^^This tells me you're trolling just a wee bit.

While I rarely wish ill will on others, you don't deserve that job. With any luck, you've left evidence of defamation where the Boss can see it and use it against you in addition to firing you.

Them defamation suits be awful expensive to defend...

:cool:

commentator

Okay. If he wants to, your boss can, in your at-will state, fire you for anything. Just because he doesn't like the color of your socks. Whatever. But what a couple of your co-workers claim you said in a private conversation about the working conditions, about the work, about the boss, etc, through the years or last Tuesday IS NOT a valid work related misconduct reason to terminate you in my humble opinion.

I would need to hear more and get more details about the situation and about the exact reason you were given for your termination before calling it that. It was very very lousy poor judgment on your part to make a public display of bad mouthing your boss to co workers, particularly new co workers. It is something you should never have done, you should have worked your frustrations with the boss and the job out in more productive ways. And of course, you should have stopped doing it immediately when the situation "got out of hand" back when that particular former co worker you mentioned was at your little gathering. You should've a long time ago quit being the chief mouth and pot stirrer in your workforce, and just been doing your job to the best of your ability and keeping your mouth shut. It's a wonder you haven't been told on a long time before now.

That said, it's pretty much a case of "they say/he said...." which is probably not going to be particularly much work related as much as it's going to be personally insulting to the boss. And is there a boss out there who's silly enough to think his employees don't bad mouth him off the job, or that he can control what they say and do off the job?

Perhaps if they could produce video of you saying mean things about the boss and the workplace, your boss would have a fairly good reason to be a little perturbed with you. But obviously this has been going on for quite a while. Is HE, your boss the one who said that he thinks perhaps the turnover rate may be due to your comments? Or is this just office scuttlebutt? Did he give you specific warning that you will be fired if you do it again? How can you be "about to be fired?" Explain your situation. If he's said, "Don't ever do it again!" then don't. Problem solved.

The example that was quoted regarding a firing that was determined to be actual misconduct that resulted in denial of unemployment does not really seem relevant to this particular situation from what I am hearing here. That was a case where a worker on the worksite first of all, had been warned before about doing this particular thing, in other words he knew what he was not supposed to do. And then he actually gave orders/information/suggestions, encouraging other workers to disregard the other person's instructions, supervision, etc., in direct conflict with what the boss had instructed the workers to do. This was misconduct. This was encouraging other workers to disobey a direct instruction by the supervisor, after direct warnings to change his behavior in this regard. This was pretty much insubordination /actual work related misconduct.

Saying, "Oh, by the way, you new employees over at the old workhouse we call a job, you need to know our boss is a real Scrooge, nobody gets a raise, ever, and don't ever tell him his shoe is untied, he'll go nuts and yell at you! Yeah, he threw a staple gun at one of the guys last year!" is not insubordination. Especially when it is not said at the workplace.

Frankly, I cannot imagine hearing this as a new employee and going on and quitting the job, myself. I think most people will go on and try to find out for sure themselves what the job and the boss are like, regardless of what you have to say about it, because as someone said, jobs are hard to find, jobs are important to keep. I'm not at all sure the reason for your company's high turnover is anything you've said or done through the years.

You'll just have to see what happens. Above all, keep your mouth shut, keep your head down, stop discussing this whole thing with your co workers, on or off the job.

The boss may fire you for saying it, or doing it, he has the right to do so. You cannot sue him. This would not be wrongful termination or anything like it.

But by all means, if you are fired, FILE AT ONCE FOR UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS. No one who is terminated, even if they do not think they will be approved, or have been told they may not be approved on this website or any other, should hesitate to file for benefits, and go through the process of applying for unemployment insurance. It costs nothing to file. You have a right to do so and get a determination of eligibility.

And the circumstances may be such that you can be approved. We don't hear all the facts here by any means. While your employer is free to terminate you for just about any reason, in order to keep you from drawing benefits, they must show that they had a valid job related misconduct reason to terminate you. That you knew your actions would result in termination, and you persisted in doing them. It must be either misconduct after you have been warned about the misconduct behavior, or it had to be something so wrong, so extreme, that doing it even once was reasonably going to get you fired, and you knew it. For example, the former employee who got in a fist fight with his employer? No warnings necessary, that was gross misconduct.

But lets face it. There are a lot of people who get together and talk smack about their job. The new employees tend to get the big stories about how bad it is, how eccentric the boss is, how bad the work load can get. You were out of line, exhibiting poor judgment to start and continue this, but don't let it stop you from filing for benefits IF you are in fact, fired.

Last edited:

Ladyback1

Is this implying that you are the "boss under the boss"?
If so, you were undermining the boss' authority, and just in general being an @$$.
While it may not preclude you from receiving unemployment, it certainly is not going to be a very good mark on your resume for "future" positions (if you are fired).

So, if you are "short staffed" does that mean you step in and actually work a shift? Or are in HR, thus you think that short or under staffed means that you have a job because you hire new employees?
Have you ever thought that, maybe, just maybe, YOU are the reason people quit? I mean, if I started a job and somebody organized a dinner to bash the boss, I would be appalled to be working with *THAT* person---not the boss or the company.:mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">