• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sorry if in wrong section..but need help(job related)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

c0rrupt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I worked retail for almost 4 years at a store and left for a better job. That "better job" didn't work out and I swallowed my pride and reapplied to the retail store I used to work for.

Now the (then) Store Manager told me that the only position they'd put me in was under a Support Manager spot because that's what the store really needed at the time. For some reason I couldn't pop up under the job requisition because I was a new hire so they told me I'd start off as a normal associate and then interviewed for the Support Manager position and go from there.

She emphasized that it would only be temporary and I'd have the position once all the interviews were conducted. She also stated that the Market Manager was on board with it because I have good work ethic and know what I'm actually doing. (i live in a small town)

My first day there I was being groomed in this position by a higher-up individual and he was told not to because they hadn't officially gone through all the interviews.

Now here is where things get tricky...the Store Manager is no longer the Store Manager at this establishment and the person in charge of running the store never really liked me for whatever odd reason. Elitist attitude or whatever..not something I want to get into..

So fast forward a week later all the interviews are done..the person who got the position started on my days off and I was never officially informed by management just told by various associates that he was the new Support Manager.

Is there anything I can do about this? I'm not good with the law so I wouldn't know if I were able to pursue anything against them..but from being promised and verbally told that I would be in this position(they just had to go through the interview phase) with also the Market Manager who still is there approving of it what are my options going forward?

CSO286

I worked retail for almost 4 years at a store and left for a better job. That "better job" didn't work out and I swallowed my pride and reapplied to the retail store I used to work for.

Now the (then) Store Manager told me that the only position they'd put me in was under a Support Manager spot because that's what the store really needed at the time. For some reason I couldn't pop up under the job requisition because I was a new hire so they told me I'd start off as a normal associate and then interviewed for the Support Manager position and go from there.

She emphasized that it would only be temporary and I'd have the position once all the interviews were conducted. She also stated that the Market Manager was on board with it because I have good work ethic and know what I'm actually doing. (i live in a small town)

My first day there I was being groomed in this position by a higher-up individual and he was told not to because they hadn't officially gone through all the interviews.

Now here is where things get tricky...the Store Manager is no longer the Store Manager at this establishment and the person in charge of running the store never really liked me for whatever odd reason. Elitist attitude or whatever..not something I want to get into..

So fast forward a week later all the interviews are done..the person who got the position started on my days off and I was never officially informed by management just told by various associates that he was the new Support Manager.

Is there anything I can do about this? I'm not good with the law so I wouldn't know if I were able to pursue anything against them..but from being promised and verbally told that I would be in this position(they just had to go through the interview phase) with also the Market Manager who still is there approving of it what are my options going forward?
Did you have any kind of written contract or guarantee tht you would become the support manager?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

You are free to finding employment more to your liking...

c0rrupt

It was a verbal agreement between the then Store Manager and myself in personnel. There were two people presently there and overheard the whole conversation. No written documentation..but the only reason she called me was for this position.

c0rrupt

You are free to finding employment more to your liking...
I understand that..but the agreement in place was the reason I came back. Jobs aren't easy to come by here..and with someone guaranteeing you a position and then you're just pushed aside because of whatever reason it just doesn't seem right. I really think it was an unjust thing to do and was hoping that maybe I could get some advice from someone experienced in the law field. Should I start with corporate then work my way up?

I already had a conversation with the Market Manager and he did his usual politician shtick telling me more opportunities will arise and he has so much faith in my potential.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I understand that..but the agreement in place was the reason I came back. Jobs aren't easy to come by here..and with someone guaranteeing you a position and then you're just pushed aside because of whatever reason it just doesn't seem right. I really think it was an unjust thing to do and was hoping that maybe I could get some advice from someone experienced in the law field. Should I start with corporate then work my way up?

I already had a conversation with the Market Manager and he did his usual politician shtick telling me more opportunities will arise and he has so much faith in my potential.
Again, your legal remedy (other than continuing to work and being thankful you have a job) is to seek other employment that is more to your liking.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Outside of a legally binding and enforceable contract, you cannot force them to put you into the Support Manager position.

If you think it will make you look good to go over everyone's head to Corporate or that everyone will be pleased with you for doing so, then of course by all means do so.

Antigone*

The usual politician shtick is completely legal. However "unjust" you feel this is, nothing illegal has happend.

swalsh411

Even if it was in writing it would not be enforceable. Or you could he hired into the position and fired the next day for almost any reason or no reason at all. Just as you have every right to quit your job for another, they have every right to not hire you, not promote you, or fire you for almost any reason.

tranquility

Let's pretend you had a written contract guaranteeing what you have told us signed by the company president. Now, say for some reason they don't want to fulfill their part of the contract. What could they do?

They could put you in the position and then immediately fire you. That would comply with their duties and is certainly within their power. So, you would not have real recourse unless you had damages. Damages could be moving expenses. Damages could be the difference between the salary of a job you could have gotten and your current salary because of the promise of a greater salary. Damages could be if you left a job based on the contract. Even in those instances, it would be a hard sell and would require you to make a claim they did not treat you in good faith and fair dealing.

Here, you have less. Zigner's advice is your only real option.

Posting lag edit:
What swalsh411 said.

Lixim

I'd try to find something else then. Unfortunately for you the person who made the promise is gone and the person there doesn't like you. I'd say there is a good change that youll get fired anyway, so you might as well make a move somewhere else. After all, if you were only there for one reason and you now have a boss that hates you, then you really aren't working in the best environment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">