• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speaking of, UC and home-based businesses?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ahutchGA

What is the name of your state? GA

Now that this topic has been brought up previously, I have a quick question.

I was always told that UC was to tide you over until you found another job.

But I know an acquaintance here who is using it to finance his home-based business. He was downsized from a major corporation, received a severance package.

When it ran out, he filed for unemployment and is doing the interviews, etc. to keep the money rolling in.

He had a really high paying job at the big corporation, and he's not taking any job unless it pays close to what he was making. He and his family have a lot of credit card debt and expenses.
(Personally, I'd trim expenses and live within means, and be grateful to HAVE a job, but that's just me).

In the meantime, he's started a home-based business and is using the UC to get the computer gig up and running.
(This was all documented in emails he wrote me and my husband.)
If you don't really intend to be finding a job, and you're just going through the motions, then what's the point?

Could you please clarify what the purpose and uses of UC are, in Georgia?

Thanks for your time.

Beth3

The purpose of UC is just what you understand it to be - to provide some level of income while an individual conducts a job search.

As long as this acquaintance is meeting the requirements for continuing to collect benefits (actively seeking employment), then he's not doing anything wrong. If he also wants to use his time to try and get his own business going, I don't really see the problem. Ultimately, he's going to be off the UC rolls either way - the benefit will run out or he will no longer need it, whether he accepts a position or becomes self-employed.

Now if your acquaintance actually IS self-employed at this point and earning an income from his business and is failing to report that to the UC Division, then he's defrauding the State and there will be some consequences for that when/if it's discovered.

A

ahutchGA

Thank you for the clarification

I don't know if my acquaintance is earning income from his home-based business. I know he wants to, get it profitable. But I have no idea if it's in the black yet or not.

Thanks for your time.
:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">