• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Staffing agency question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TNBSMommy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MS

I am curious if there is a time frame for how long someone can work in the same position, at the same company but actually be employed by a temporary staffing agency. I've currently been here for 8 months, through a temp agency. I've been told a couple of times, over the last 4 months the company I'm at is planning to hire us (there are two of us who started at the same time) on full time, but that hasn't happened yet.

Yesterday, one of my coworkers and I were talking and she said that the person who pays the staffing agency made the comment she prefers to do it this way because it's cheaper to pay them than it is to provide us benefits(and yes, she is also the one who determines who gets hired), not that they have great benefits here but they are better than what I have currently.

I'm just curious if there is any kind of limitations on how long they have to make that decision or can they leave us through the temp agency indefinitely?

Thanks so much!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They can leave you through the temp agency indefinitely. Your employer is the temp agency, not the contracting company. The contracting company has no legal obligation to hire you permanently, ever.

TNBSMommy

Ok, Thank you so much! That's what I needed to know! I've never worked for a staffing agency before so I didn't know how all that works.

I'm debating on contacting them and requesting to be put somewhere else who is looking to actually hire employees, but I didn't know how inappropriate that would be.

commentator

Well, you can ask, but remember, your staffing agency employer might not be agreeable to giving you another assignment, regardless of your potential for advancement in any worksite. Your success isn't what they're worried about. They have a client who is quite happy with your work, is going to keep using you through their agency indefinitely, and is making them a nice little chunk of change regularly. This arrangement, using staffing agencies indefinitely, is what the market will bear right now. I'd begin seeking another job that wasn't through a staffing agency, though a lot of jobs will involve beginning with an agency, at least.

OHRoadwarrior

Generally, such agreements have a buyout clause. If the employer is happy with your work and has hired others, it might behoove you to keep your ear to the ground to see how the contracting company is doing financially. They might be holding off on employment until Bama'Care is fully implemented.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Indicate to the staffing agency that you are not satisfied with the position you have, and they just may take you at your word. They can, quite easily, pull you off that assignment and put someone in who is more appreciative. And if they don't happen to have another assignment to place you in, there you sit with maybe unemployment and no paycheck and questionable benefits.

Are you sure that's the direction you want to go?

TNBSMommy

I haven't said anything b/c I don't want to put myself or the staffing agency in a bad position. I am looking around on my own time, and if something comes up, permanent and with benefits, then I will take it. However, I am smart enough to not jeapordize my job and my paycheck. I simply said it was a thought I had because I know they have quite a few positions available, because I've seen them posted, but I wasn't sure what the protocol was for staffing agencies. Looking at it that way, I will just keep looking on my own.

Anyhow, I was just curious. You answered my questions, thanks again!

ecmst12

A lot of temp agencies have contracts with the client companies that don't allow them to hire you on as full time before a year.

TNBSMommy

I didn't realize that. I don't THINK that is the case with this one, only because I answered the phone back in February when the staffing agency called. He told me it was regarding whether they had decided to hire us on full time or not. Since then, I've been told several times they are "planning" to. When I told the person here what the call was regarding, she asked how long we'd been here. I said, since the beginning of Sept, she seemed surprised it had been that long, and asked how I felt about taking on more responsibility, which I have since that conversation.

tranquility

I didn't realize that. I don't THINK that is the case with this one, only because I answered the phone back in February when the staffing agency called. He told me it was regarding whether they had decided to hire us on full time or not. Since then, I've been told several times they are "planning" to. When I told the person here what the call was regarding, she asked how long we'd been here. I said, since the beginning of Sept, she seemed surprised it had been that long, and asked how I felt about taking on more responsibility, which I have since that conversation.
While most contracts allow the company to hire you, they usually have to pay a fee to the staffing agency if they do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">