• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

staffing non-compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lily1999

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have a non-compete that prevents me from being directly or indirectly engaged in "the same or similar" business as my employer. The agreement identifies my employer's business as "personnel services business, which involves the temporary and permanent placement of personnel with businesses". The company is a staffing firm.

I am exploring leaving to start a consulting (time & materials) business that provides education, research, and training on recruitment/hiring practices to businesses, and possibly internal/corporate recruiting on a contract basis.

My current company does not provide any of these services. I am not going to work for a competitor, and am not providing temporary or permanent placement of personnel services myself. I would actually be referring customers with those needs to agencies such as my current employer.

My question: Is the consulting business idea in violation of this agreement?

How do PA courts typically define "similar"? Similiar could really be just about anything that has to do with recruiting and hiring people in any context, which essentially prevents me from pursuing another job in my field.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You will have to have the EXACT wording of the non-compete agreement reviewed by a PA attorney. No one here can interpret a document they have not read.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">