• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State of NC: Reference given to prospective employer: Legal or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nekobirm

State of NC:
I'm an RN, given the choice to be fired or resign on 2/01 from a leadership position in a large institution. Too many details surrounding the issue to further explain. I've had numerous interviews with no success in getting hired. My performance evaluations (at this same institution) are "stellar" prior to joining this department. I truly believe that there was a personality conflict between my Director and myself, although I always got along very well with her. She is no longer in this position, having gone out on FMLA plus a leave of absence since I left. (job related stress). I hired a reference service to see what she was saying about me. ( I do not list her as a reference).
She stated that she would not recommend me for a job. She told the interviewer that I "left early" for my children. I asked for the time off to take care of their needs and was always approved. I used my accrued time. When asked "Could you describe the circumstances and reason for the separation?" She replied that I was given the option to resign or be terminated (by her). Stated that I chose to resign. Is it legal to give out this information to prospective employers in NC?
Thank you for any advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">