• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State rules for layoff?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

desmo907

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

When being down sized I think CA has a 60-day policy for continuing "employment" before severance begins and final termination.

How do I find out about these rules by state (particularly CT)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

When being down sized I think CA has a 60-day policy for continuing "employment" before severance begins and final termination.

How do I find out about these rules by state (particularly CT)?
**A: go to the state DOL.

desmo907

I think the CA rule must be WARN. I didn't realize it was Federal.

My understanding is that the serverance (optional by employer) starts after the 60 days. They also require signing of a no-sue paper (no part of class action, or recipient of any money from one).

I wonder how that would affect me as I work from home in CT but based in NC (though a physical presence in nearly every state including mine).

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
WARN does not apply to all terminations, only to mass layoffs. You'll have to give us some specifics.

What WARN requires, when it applies, is 60 days notice OR pay in lieu thereof. It does not require severance over and above that.

desmo907

Thx, I understand that about WARN. My friend got a severance that starts after the 60 days end (there were mass layoffs).

I was just wondering how the WARN could apply to someone who works from home as some of us do. Even though our company has a physical presence in nearly every state some of us work completely remote and team members are across various states.

eerelations

I think WARN is more interested in how many people were laid off than where they did their work.

How many employees did your company lay off at the same time as you?

ecmst12

BTW it sounds like your friend received a severence more generous then the law requires; that does not mean you will get the same.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It may be that WARN doesn't apply to you. WARN has many different scenarios - not everyone in a layoff will necessarily fit the same one, or at all.

Severance is not required by law in 47 states and only occasionally in the other 3. Your state is one of the 47. WARN does NOT require severance, ever; it relates to notice or pay in lieu thereof. There are no laws saying when severance starts. You are taking what happened in one specific situation and trying to turn it into a law. Just because your friend got severance after 60 days doesn't mean it's a legal requirement. It isn't.

desmo907

It may be that WARN doesn't apply to you. WARN has many different scenarios - not everyone in a layoff will necessarily fit the same one, or at all.

Severance is not required by law in 47 states and only occasionally in the other 3. Your state is one of the 47. WARN does NOT require severance, ever; it relates to notice or pay in lieu thereof. There are no laws saying when severance starts. You are taking what happened in one specific situation and trying to turn it into a law. Just because your friend got severance after 60 days doesn't mean it's a legal requirement. It isn't.
I understand this. I was just relaying the situation they were in. I know the severance is not required nor when it starts. And I was just gathering info for later in case I find myself in the same situation (I have not been laid off).

Also it is difficult for us to determine how many people were laid off at the same time as the company doesn't publish that -- we can only know by talking to friends, etc. But I assume there were more than the minimum WARN requires since they got the 60 days. I just thought it had to be in 1 specific location not across locations (states) but maybe I misread WARN.

Thx.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">