• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations - Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcbucket

I fired a part time employee in April of 2004. She refused to report to work for two weeks because she calimed she was frightened of a male employee. She demanded in writing that he be fired. It is a "he said, she said" type of case with no witnesses. Also, the male employee in question has a spotless record of over 20 years with the company and I have received numerous letters of support for him from all of the female employees of the company. The fired employee filed a complaint with the EEOC and, in November 2004, they dismissed her complaint. I received a "Notice of Suit Rights" from the EEOC in which they informed the fired employee that, in order to pursue the matter, she had 90 days to file a suit.

Now, some 14 months later, she has retained the services of a lawyer and is threatening to sue in State Court.

Is there a different statute of limitations for such cases on a state level?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not that I can find. As far as I can tell, she has 180 days to file at the state level as well as at the Federal level. I don't know of ANY state that grants over a year to file at the state level, though I could be wrong - I haven't checked all 50 states.

But if I were you, I'd clarify the situation by showing her/her lawyers letter to a lawyer of your own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">