• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stiill do not know why I was fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tdd0474

I live in California and over 2 and 1/2 years ago I was terminated but was never given a reason why nor was I fired face to face. Let me explain. I was an opening manager for a video store and part of my duties was tyo take paychecks and put them under one of the registers and dole them out as employees showed up to get their checks. One morning they screwed up and I had two checks. I called my boss to find out why and was told If I hung out after my shift when she got there she would discuss it. Never did she say I was not fired and I did not wait and did not return. I received a check that paid me for hours I did not work but still do not know if I was fired or because I did not show up for scheduled shifts if it was self termination. Any advice on the situation would be helpful.

Isis1

I live in California and over 2 and 1/2 years ago I was terminated but was never given a reason why nor was I fired face to face. Let me explain. I was an opening manager for a video store and part of my duties was tyo take paychecks and put them under one of the registers and dole them out as employees showed up to get their checks. One morning they screwed up and I had two checks. I called my boss to find out why and was told If I hung out after my shift when she got there she would discuss it. Never did she say I was not fired and I did not wait and did not return. I received a check that paid me for hours I did not work but still do not know if I was fired or because I did not show up for scheduled shifts if it was self termination. Any advice on the situation would be helpful.
did you hang out as she asked so she can discuss it with you?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, you abandoned your job. You quit.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You want advice on the situation? Move on.

In your state, and in most others, the employer is not required to give you a reason. But if you want to know why you were fired, I'll tell you why you were fired.

You were fired because you did not show up for work.

Nothing in the law says that if x happens, it is a firing and if y happens, it's a quit. You didn't show up for work; you're no longer employed there. It's a moot point what you call it.

eerelations

OP, why is it so important for you to know this now, more than two years after the fact? What's suddenly come up in your life that makes it necessary for you to know why your were fired?

Beth3

You didn't wait to see the manager and you never showed up for work again. Um, there's no big mystery here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">