• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

still dont know why i got fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amberh

Mn(only U.S. law)? Well I went to work one day just a normal day. An assistant supervisoryn pulled me aside and said he was told to pull me from production after calling his supervisor. I asked why and was told an employee thought I was acting weird confused. I explained I take paxil everyday for anxiety everyday and forgot dose that morning n that can make me kinda spacy. Long story short I asked fo4 a drug test to be administered. I do not do illegal drugs. I was told that pending the drug results I was on leave and would be paid for all time missed and be reinstated. After 5 days and mi response I called human resources and upper mgmt for results. Did not get response until next day they wanted me to come to office. I did and was told I channeled concerns inappropriately and unprofessional. I asked for results and was told that was not the point

Beth3

Even if your drug test was negative, your employer is still free to terminate your employment. They aren't obligated to show you the results, although they were apparently negative since they didn't terminate you for that reason.

They did give you a reason for your termination (was told I channeled concerns inappropriately and unprofessional, even if you don't agree with the reason or understand it.

swalsh411

Dollars to donuts you were rude to whomever you spoke with when you called after waiting for 5 days. That's why you were fired.

Hot Topic

Have you read the newspapers or watched the news these days? People who are acting "weird" and "confused" should send up red flags to their co-workers and supervisors, and action should be taken immediately.

"Forgetting" to take medication that will prevent such behavior is a tough thing to excuse, especially if you're working on an assembly line. Your inattention could also cause a faulty product to go out, possibly endangering a client.

Also sounds like your taking Paxil came as a surprise, which it shouldn't have.

If you know that forgetting to take it makes you "spacy," why in the world would you be surprised that you were terminated?

commentator

File for your unemployment. If you are monetarily eligible, they'll ask you what happened, why you are no longer working at this place. Tell the story just exactly as you have told it here. YOu were terminated, you're not sure why.

Then the unemployment office will contact the employer. Whatever they say, they may call you back and ask more questions about whatever they say. Then eventually, they'll make a decision on whether the company had a good misconduct reason to fire you, or if you get to draw unemployment because they did not. Either party can then appeal this decision and at that point there would be a hearing.

If you passed the drug test, and there are no previous incidents when you've been written up or warned when you were acting rude or spacy or odd, and you didn't do something really squirrelly that day, like come into work dancing naked that could be gross misconduct, you probably will be able to draw unemployment. Even if they just decided to terminate you because you're on medication and they don't want to keep you around, this would be your only alternative. They've not violated any laws.

Betty

This was not an illegal termination. In at-will employment you can be terminated at any time for any reason except a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender) or unless you had a binding employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

File for unemployment ins. as suggested. The state will decide if you will receive benefits or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">