• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strange Layoffs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LowDose

OHIO

In June '06, I began work at a very small (around ten employees) and very new company. Since I'm a second income in my home, I never failed to offer to stay home when there wasn't enough work for everyone to do, as many of the other employees are their household's sole income. The company was going through serious financial stress and business dropped like a rock. The last day I worked was October 4 and I didn't return to work until December 5th. When I did return, there was someone new doing my job and I was pretty much told that the only job available was one they knew I couldn't do due to an old back injury. Of course, I took the job.

I worked that job, in excruciating pain most days, until February 13th, 2007. During that time, I was given a raise and told I was doing a great job. The lady 'training' me told me that I was a huge help to her, that I was able to do the job various ways that other people just can't. I got the company caught up on orders that they'd been behind in forever. Another gal was hired to do one of the same jobs I was doing during this time.

The week of February 13th, we had a snowstorm and the shop was closed all but one day and that one day, I couldn't get out and they understood. On February 17th, I went to the ER for chest pains and was kept overnight for tests. I was put off work for a week until I could be checked again to see how my medication was working for me. I was given the clearance to return to work.

I was then told that again, there was nothing for me to do, work was slow, etc. That went on for a week and finally the following Monday, I was told I was laid off indefinitely, along with 2 others. Strangely enough, the new gal that was hired after me still has a job. When I went to collect my toolbox and such after the second layoff, there were 2 additional people working as well. When I asked the boss if I'd be returning to work, he hem-hawed around and said he just wasn't sure, that the business was so shaky, he had to hire two temporaries to get the work done. ???! Seems it'd have been cheaper to pay me (barely above minimum wage too!) to do the work than to hire two others.

I was denied unemployment because I didn't have 20 consecutive weeks of earning $200.

I spoke with one of the owners about a month ago and asked her "Will I get called back to work?" and she said "Yes, I'm sure you will."

What I want to know is if this repeated layoff even legal? Can they lay me off for lack of work while other newer employees still work and they hire new people while I'm on layoff?

Ohio is a horrible state for employee's rights.

pattytx

OHIO

In June '06, I began work at a very small (around ten employees) and very new company. Since I'm a second income in my home, I never failed to offer to stay home when there wasn't enough work for everyone to do, as many of the other employees are their household's sole income. The company was going through serious financial stress and business dropped like a rock. The last day I worked was October 4 and I didn't return to work until December 5th. When I did return, there was someone new doing my job and I was pretty much told that the only job available was one they knew I couldn't do due to an old back injury. Of course, I took the job.

I worked that job, in excruciating pain most days, until February 13th, 2007. During that time, I was given a raise and told I was doing a great job. The lady 'training' me told me that I was a huge help to her, that I was able to do the job various ways that other people just can't. I got the company caught up on orders that they'd been behind in forever. Another gal was hired to do one of the same jobs I was doing during this time.

The week of February 13th, we had a snowstorm and the shop was closed all but one day and that one day, I couldn't get out and they understood. On February 17th, I went to the ER for chest pains and was kept overnight for tests. I was put off work for a week until I could be checked again to see how my medication was working for me. I was given the clearance to return to work.

I was then told that again, there was nothing for me to do, work was slow, etc. That went on for a week and finally the following Monday, I was told I was laid off indefinitely, along with 2 others. Strangely enough, the new gal that was hired after me still has a job. When I went to collect my toolbox and such after the second layoff, there were 2 additional people working as well. When I asked the boss if I'd be returning to work, he hem-hawed around and said he just wasn't sure, that the business was so shaky, he had to hire two temporaries to get the work done. ???! Seems it'd have been cheaper to pay me (barely above minimum wage too!) to do the work than to hire two others.

I was denied unemployment because I didn't have 20 consecutive weeks of earning $200.

I spoke with one of the owners about a month ago and asked her "Will I get called back to work?" and she said "Yes, I'm sure you will."

What I want to know is if this repeated layoff even legal? Can they lay me off for lack of work while other newer employees still work and they hire new people while I'm on layoff?

Ohio is a horrible state for employee's rights.
There is NO state that regulates layoffs in the manner you're expecting. The only time this could possibly be an issue is if layoff criteria was covered in a union contract. Other than that, there is not hing illegal about what they are doing, in any state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">