• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strange mail...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

swepea

I work as a receptionist at a large firm in Utah. I am in charge of opening mail for the entire department. I am supposed to open EVERY piece of mail we receive before distributing it. My question is, with recent Anthrax scares can my boss disipline or even fire me if I refuse to open strange looking mail?

HomeGuru

Yes but it would be unwise and the employer would have a hard time proving that the discipline or termination was for just cause in light of the recent and continuing events.
The employer is supposed to provide a safe working environment and thus if you have concerns, should request that the employer provide the following:

1. training for all employees with respect to handling of mail, looking out for suspicious mail etc.
Posted placards, inter-office memos etc. with info from the USPS. OSHA etc.

2. employee equipment/wear such as gloves, masks etc. for mail handlers.

You have a valid concern and I share the same concern.
All mail sent to my office that deos not have a return address or a recognizable return address is not opened, bagged and thrown out. No wonder I'm getting more postcards and email lately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">