• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strange Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacobyte007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
I just got fired today completely out of the blue with no prior warnings or attempt to coach me on anything i was doing wrong, I have been here 4 years and they said it was because of my performance over the last year but the gave me the best performing manager award at Christmas only 6 months ago.
I was given no notice, I don't have a contract so i was wondering if there is anything i can do?

Thanks, Allan

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, there is. You can file for unemployment and look for another job.

commentator

It is legal for them to terminate you without any reason, at any time they want to. They employ you "at will." however, if you are out of work through no fault of your own, you can file for unemployment insurance, and this will ultimately cost the employer money when you are approved. They're hoping you'll be dumb enough to just say, "Oh well" and walk away, without filing for unemployment while seeking another job, since, as they've tried to tell you, you're fired. Based on your past performance. A lot of people don't understand this whole system, feel like if they were terminated, it means something bad. Not necessarily. It may just be the employer trying to beat the system, get you to leave without giving you a legitimate lay off due to lack of work.

What you tell the unemployment system is that you were told you were terminated, you had had no prior warnings or indications that your job was in jeopardy, you were given no opportunity to improve your so called performance and keep your job, and that you always did the job to the best of your abilities.

Under these circumstances, the employer cannot keep you from drawing unemployment benefits. But believe me, this isn't a really uncommon situation. Many many employers try this tack to avoid paying out higher unemployment insurance taxes. The system will not be surprised by it, and will not accept their side of the story without using your information too. So file that claim and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">