• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Substitute Teacher

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexze816

What is the name of your state?FL

I lost a Director of Marketing job in July. My education is undergrad Mktg, Finance, with an MBA. I do not have teacher's certification, I only sub at my kid's school because I know the teachers and organization because I am president of the PTA. I have substituted on and off for about 5 months, making $50 a day. I received a determination from the State of Florida saying that I will not receive benefits between school terms, vschool vacation periods. I go in when they call me, but I thought I was supposed to gainfully apply, and make money where I can Aas long as I report it. Obviously I would rather work in Marketing, but I will sub to help out. Help! I have 20 days to appeal. When did I become an employee of this school?

pattytx

You became an employee when you agreed to work for pay as a substitute teacher. Such positions in a school district or private school do not qualify you as an independent contractor. As an employee, you are subject to all rules and regulations of the district.

Beth3

Help! I have 20 days to appeal. Appeal what? Are you saying you this is unemployment benefit issue?

alexze816

Thanks for the replies!
Denied Benefits because of subbing in school, 1-3 days a week since November. School ends in 5 weeks. I know I will sub at least 5 times until then. In the mean time, I have 20 days to appeal this determination. I am at will, only if a teacher calls in and the school calls me.
Thanks!

Beth3

I'd appeal the decision but I can't predict the outcome. I haven't encountered a UC situation such as yours and there probably are some unique provisions in the law regarding UC benefits for teachers. You have nothing to lose by appealing the decision and filing for hearing so you might as well. The worst that can happen is that they affirm the Initial Determination.

alexze816

Thanks Beth I appreciate the encouragement! You are right, watch those who treat anyone poorly. How do they treat those who they know, and don't like? Make's you wonder!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">