• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sudden background check on non-employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
I am a student in a healthcare program. I spent one year on pre-req's, and am halfway through the program now. Suddenly, this summer, we are all expected to pay for and supply background checks to the school and hospital. Apparently, any misdemeanor will preclude a student from completing the program. I have a misdemeanor, not related to abuse, drugs, or sexual in nature. (implied consent) During the process of enrolling in the program, nothing was said about background checks. There was nothing I signed, nothing in the manual, etc... Since the students don't have the same lunches, etc as actual employees, I don't think they are considered employees, but I am not sure. If they had said that misdemeanor offenses would prevent me from completing this program, I would not have wasted 20,000 dollars and two years already on it. This particular conviction does not necessarily prevent me from obtaining my licensure (after the program has ended) or employment (according to employees at the hospital), so I don't understand how they can suddenly require this in the middle of the curriculum. I may, and probably am, wrong, but don't they have somewhat of a contractual obligation to allow myself (and at least 4 others in the class) to complete the program?
Please advise-I greatly appreciate it.
Saminalham

No response?

I am surprised that nobody has a quick response to my post. Should I post it in a different forum here? I wasn't sure about the category. This also may be more complicated, or new to some, so I was just wondering.

Saminalham

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since this particular forum relates to employment law and you are a student, not an employee, employment law does not apply. You might do better posting it on the Education board.

And when you do, as Patty says, be patient. This board is staffed by volunteers. Not everyone who opens your thread is going to know the answer to your question. It is not unusual for a question to go unanswered for several hours, or even a couple of days, until someone who knows the answer happens by. :)

re:background check response

Hi,
Thanks for letting me know it may take a bit. Every site has their own timeframe, etc... I appreciate your response.
Saminalham

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">