• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suit against Security Company? plus corporate espionage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

surfer349

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hey,

So I’ve got a complicated situation. I did 1099 IC work for a security and alarm company. The kind that sets up service contracts for residential properties. The company is refusing to pay me commissions for my sales, due to being associated with a manager who left the company for another. After 2 months of trying to recover my commissions, being screamed at over the phone, lied to, and flat out told that they would never pay me (from the president and the CEO), I decided to drop on them some bargaining chips and insider information. I informed them of my intentions on dropping information to the local news stations and blogs about their illegal and unethical business practices in addition to dropping information to their competitor about the corporate espionage they had been conducting.

1. They knowingly hired foreign nationals without green cards or work permits (illegal aliens).
2. They forced us to sell in areas where they were not licensed or permitted, despite telling us (the sales force) that all licenses were registered and filed.
3. They had access to the customer database for a large national competing alarm company. They propagated this information to the sales force and forced us to specifically target the names and accounts on these “lists.” I’m sure corporate espionage is a big no-no.

Anyway, after telling them of my intentions, they immediately changed their attitude and are agreeing to pay my commissions earned. They have just sent me a letter from their lawyer stating that they will pay me the sum of money on the conditions that I “refrain from engaging in any actions or making any statements which shall constitute slander, defamation, or making any injurious or harmful statements” against their company.

So here’s my questions:
1. Should I take the agreement or should I continue on with a civil suit? Because of this whole scenario, I easily missed out on $10,000 in potential earnings and sales. I have been unable to sell accounts and process them because of all the mixed stories and lack of faith in the company. Is this considered damages? Can an IC sue for lost future earnings?
2. Should I continue on with dropping this information to the press and to their competitor? I’m sure the company they are stealing database information from would file a huge suit against the company. Not to mention all the bad press they would get in the local sales areas and damages to their future recruiting efforts.

I am torn. I want this situation to be over and done with, but they also have put me through so much bull**** that I really want to see them punished and release all this information I have.

Thoughts?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

pattytx

See an attorney. Your options are much better defined by someone who is versed in contract law and is versed in the laws in your state.

A lot of people think the media is more interested in this stuff than they actually are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">