• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a Summary Offense a crime in PA when it does not show up on BG check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gem68

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I received a Summary Offense citation for Harassment over an argument back in December. I went ahead and pled guilty and paid the fine, the officer told me it was not a crime and equivalent to a traffic ticket. This is my only brush with the law.

I am currently applying for jobs and have just gotten a job offer. I still have not filled out their application and they are going to send it over to me in the next couple of days, so I'm not sure if the question will specify just felonies/misdemeanors, or just as "a crime". Of course, if it's just felonies/misdemeanors then I'm in the clear, but I'm a little fuzzy on apps that ask for "a crime"

I've performed two background checks on myself. One through the PA State Police and then one through US Search - both came back with "No Criminal History Found". Does this mean that when they run a background check on me, it will not come up? Is it considered a crime and should I list it on the application?

In PA, it is not legal for employers to consider Summary Offenses in the hiring process, so I'm not sure if I am legally obligated to disclose it? Is this something they would hold against me ?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I received a Summary Offense citation for Harassment over an argument back in December. I went ahead and pled guilty and paid the fine, the officer told me it was not a crime and equivalent to a traffic ticket. This is my only brush with the law.

I am currently applying for jobs and have just gotten a job offer. I still have not filled out their application and they are going to send it over to me in the next couple of days, so I'm not sure if the question will specify just felonies/misdemeanors, or just as "a crime". Of course, if it's just felonies/misdemeanors then I'm in the clear, but I'm a little fuzzy on apps that ask for "a crime"

I've performed two background checks on myself. One through the PA State Police and then one through US Search - both came back with "No Criminal History Found". Does this mean that when they run a background check on me, it will not come up? Is it considered a crime and should I list it on the application?

In PA, it is not legal for employers to consider Summary Offenses in the hiring process, so I'm not sure if I am legally obligated to disclose it? Is this something they would hold against me ?
I am pretty sure that this is not something that you are required to list on job applications.

gem68

Thanks for your reply!

I'll just hope it specifically states the felony/misdemeanor though so I'll know I'm in the clear!

gem68

Just want to add an update to this thread in case someone else is looking for the same answer.

The application came in and only asked for misd/felonies. I answered truthfully with NO.

I sent them the info back on Friday 7/27 and started the job today so it looks like everything went through A-OK? I love the job and I'm not going to bring it up, but I'll update if anything happens down the line.
Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">