• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Supoena of computers?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

5wheel

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

If a divorce lawyer sent me a supoena to take one of my employees computer with the thought that he has incriminating emails deleted. Can I fight it in anyway? This will shut that dept down if I not given enough time to copy things to another computer. Let alone having to purchase another computer? What are my rights as an employer if I receive a supoena(sp?) to take a computer out?

JETX

5wheel said:
If a divorce lawyer sent me a supoena to take one of my employees computer with the thought that he has incriminating emails deleted. Can I fight it in anyway?
You can fight any subpoena that is served on you. However, the court will listen to your LEGAL objection and rule accordingly.

This will shut that dept down if I not given enough time to copy things to another computer. Let alone having to purchase another computer? What are my rights as an employer if I receive a supoena(sp?) to take a computer out?
See above. File your objection and let the court rule.

Beth3

Are you sure it was a subpoena (a court order) and not just a demand directly from the attorney?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">