• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Supposed Overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drlittleton

I quit my former job 6 months ago and started my new job in a different state. My old job has just recently sent me a total of 2-certified letters stating that they overpaid me 14 hours. During my move I threw away all of my old stuff(papers/books/etc.) from my old job. Well looks like I need it now....I don't have my old paystubs and I believe what they are stating as an overpayment is really my vacation hours pay out. How should I handle this situation? What is the recourse that can occur in this situation? Can I make them send me my salary info? Also if they are correct (which I do not think they are), Can I be the one to choose the payback plan? Any info on this would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks.

crager34

interesting

My thoughts are, work with them, not against them. Explain that you don't have your records and you want to make an informed decision, so ask them to send you all relevant information...time cards, pay information, vacation time...etc. If you were overpaid, then you owe them the money. If you were underpaid and could prove it....wouldn't they owe you the money? As far as a re-payment plan, that would need to be worked out with them. The probably isn't a governing authority on that. Again, work with them, not against them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">