• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surgery Aftermath

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My friend in Maryland took an approved six month's leave of absence to have a hysterectomy after doctors discovered a cancerous tumor. They believe the chances of the cancer recurring are virtually nil if she undergoes a limited program of chemotherapy on a regular basis for the next six weeks. She believes she won't be paid during that period because she has already used up her leave and is a little concerned about the possibility of losing her job.

Does anyone have any information I can pass on to her?

ecmst12

No good news. If she qualifies for FMLA, the longest they are REQUIRED to hold her job is 12 weeks. If she is out longer then that, it's solely up to the company whether they will have a job for her when she recovers or not.

commentator

Back in the bad old days before FMLA, even if you were not fired for having a long lasting illness, not only were you not getting paid, you had to pay them extra, because when you were off without pay, you had to pay both parts of your company provided health care insurance. So continuing her health care coverage is also a huge concern during any time she is on leave without pay not FMLA covered.

Does Maryland have any kind of short term disability care system at the state level? We know unemployment isn't an option here, until she was able to return to work. I hope she can work something out, hope there is a program or coverage that will help. It would be great if she had the "duck stuff" or some other disability insurance.I hope your friend does well and that the employer will work with her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">