• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surprise - No job after all!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annaleem

What is the name of your state?

I'm in Phoenix, Arizona. I had a "good" job, well-paying (over $70K + bonus). I was recruited by another company. I accepted their offer, gave 2 weeks notice, and was to start tomorrow, Feb. 2, 2005.

Yesterday morning, I received a call from the new company stating that they were going to go under "re-construction" and could not make any changes for 45 days.

I am jobless at this point. I have documented all phone calls and interviews with this company.

Do I have any legal recourse?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is too situation specific to answer on a bulletin board and depends to a large degree on whether or not the circumstances by which they are withdrawing the offer are such that they could have been reasonably forseen when they made the offer.

BTW, are they actually withdrawing the offer or just putting off your start date for 45 days?

annaleem

cbg said:
This is too situation specific to answer on a bulletin board and depends to a large degree on whether or not the circumstances by which they are withdrawing the offer are such that they could have been reasonably forseen when they made the offer.

BTW, are they actually withdrawing the offer or just putting off your start date for 45 days?
When I went to do my paperwork last Wednesday, they informed me they were going into re-construction, but said nothing of it affecting my position. They allowed me to fill out my paperwork and changed my start date from Jan 31, 2005 to Feb. 2, 2005 (because the "stores director" is in New York until tonight).

The director of stores verbally guaranteed me the job would be mine in 45 days. However, yesterday morning, I left a voice mail for the owner of the company asking him to call and reassure me. I have not heard from him or the store director.

Thank you for helping!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I can't guarantee this because it varies with the state, but under the circumstances you describe it may be possible for you to draw unemployment until the new job starts. It's worth a try - the worse the state can say is no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">