• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended independent contractor-can company hire replacement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dorisdvu

What is the name of your state?
Kentucky

I was the operations manager for a company of whom considers me as an independent contractor. I was paid a set salary for holding this position. I have been suspended for a month so far (without pay) pending an internal investigation. Can my employer fill my position while I am "suspended" or do they have to terminate me first? As an independent contractor do I have any "rights"? How long can they keep me in limbo?

dorisdvu

BelizeBreeze said:
and of course you're going to come back and tell us WHY you are not working right?
I have been looking for another job but thus far have been unsuccessful.

dorisdvu

Beth3 said:
Belize is asking why they suspended you.
The company mainly does courier work for banks (picking up proof work --no cash--and mail from branches contained in a locked bag). Over a year ago, a customer stated that a bag was not received from a particular branch. The driver did pick up the bag in question (along with other bags from other branches) from the branch and took it the airport to be flown to the processing center in another state. Per the driver the bag was given to the assistant supervisor (who gives all the bags to a pilot to load on a plane). The assistant supervisor stated the bag was given to the pilot. The pilot actually signs for x # of bags/boxes received. An investigation was conducted several months ago, which included the driver and asst. supv taking a polygraph. Both passed. The investigation was recently reopened due to a call made to "crimestoppers" stating that I instructed the driver to destroy the bags contents. The driver, asst. supv and myself were instructed to take a polygraph. All of us failed. A private investigator was called in to interview all of us. The driver (who has a criminal record) was interviewed first, stated he had no knowledge of the whereabouts of the bag and ended up getting mad and walking out. I was interviewed next. The investigator was convinced that I knew more than I was saying (which was I know nothing about the whereabouts of the bag). The asst supv refused to meet with the investigator and retained an attorney. All 3 of us have been "suspended" pending an internal investigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">