• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended from my job for TWO weeks without pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustratedinwi

WI - My job has created some really stressful situations over the past 8 years. Mostly because of my boss and I really can't get along. It has now gotten to the point where they are looking everywhere to get me to either quit or be fired. (I have kept a log of the many times that I have felt singled out or mistreated) Unfortunately it is on my computer at work, so I can imagine that it is being deleted while I am not there. However at the problem at hand....

First it started with a coaching session back on Feb 2nd. My boss went into my desk while I was gone due to a sick child and wrote me up for having "checks" in my drawer and we discussed that from now on if I had any issues with not being able to figure something out that I would have to deal with them right away instead of putting them aside. (SO I improved and did everything she had asked me to that was brought up in the coaching session)

NOW - as of yesterday March 19th) they pulled me into a meeting with the HR person, my boss, and my manager - and told me I was being suspended for two weeks without pay because of an email that my manager (who I have no issues with) received supposidly from me. I clearly told all 3 of them I had not sent that to my manager. But they still made me take the two week suspension. I had even asked that if I hadn't sent that email would I be getting the two weeks, and they told me no. They then told me that I had to find proof that I didn't send it. Their proof only consists of an email that was sent from my account - no proof I sent it!

IS this a case of equal rights or anything?

Beth3

IS this a case of equal rights or anything? No. They believe you sent the inappropriate email with valid reason (it came from your account); they may suspend you or even terminate you for that.

Regarding the first instance you cite, your desk and contents are company property. Your boss may go into your desk and files any time he or she wishes.

frustratedinwi

There has been another co-worker who has on several occasions told me that she feels someone is getting into her email account. But I have a feeling that will be irrelivant too because there isn't proof of that either.

Beth3

You haven't stated whether the email was sent from your work email or from your home email but if I were you and this happened at work, I'd be sure to shut down my email when I stepped away from my desk and change my password. Yes, a pain if you often step away from your work station but that would prevent anyone from sending email as though you wrote it. If it came from your home account, change your password.

frustratedinwi

It came from my work email.....(and it is my coworkers work email too that she feels has been having suspicious activity)

I can honestly say I am frustrated - I did not send that email to my manager!!!

eerelations

...your desk and contents are company property. Your boss may go into your desk and files any time he or she wishes.
Your work email account is also your company's property, and your boss may go through your work email account any time he or she wishes.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I understand your frustration at being suspended for something you didn't do but the fact remains that it is legal.

anaberration

What application was used to create the email ? There should be a date/time stamp associated with it, indicates when it was sent and from where, via an ip address. Does this company not have an I.T. Department ? Oh and count your blessings it is just a suspension and not a termination. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">